Homemade "Balloon" Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week, my supervisor at work gave me a sample of some "balloon" wine he made. It was decent, but nothing to write home about. He gave me the recipe, and I started a gallon yesterday. It should be ready around January 3rd.

Basically, all you do is mix up one packet of yeast, 1 can of grape juice concentrate (thawed), and 3.5 cups sugar. Pour the mix into a clean gallon jug, and fill the balance of the jug with water. Then you poke a needle hole in the top of a (rinsed) balloon, and stretch the balloon over the top of the jug. Place jug in a cool place and let sit for 6 weeks, and you've got home-brew.

I'm not expecting anything special from this concoction, but it's sort of a neat thing to try. Have any of you ever made homemade wine this way?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I've done similar with apple juice, it was okay. Is the grape juice regular supermarket stuff or wine making supplies?

Welch's grape juice concentrate from China Mart. I used baker's yeast, which as I understand it, would be scoffed at by respectable wine makers. I could have used wine maker's yeast, but by that point, I would have been spending more than a bottle of wine costs. The point here is to be able to make something at home with ordinary ingredients on the cheap.

if its just OK, whats the point? to get wasted after you drink up the good stuff???? :)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
if its just OK, whats the point? to get wasted after you drink up the good stuff???? :)
wink.gif

I decided to do it for the experience of it, if nothing else. Who knows, my home brew may turn out to be darn good.

My Dad used to make balloon wine. Some of it was practically awesome. It wasn't on par with store-bought wines in most cases, but that isn't the point. It shouldn't be judged by the same criteria. It was tasty and cheap.

My batch is happily fermenting. Exactly 1 month until it's (supposed to be) ready for consumption. We'll see. I've got a different recipe for the next batch, if I even make another batch.

With W-M selling some wine for <$3 lately, the math doesn't really make my home brew worth it financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back