M1HM vs. VMaxHMFS vs Supertech Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vehicle over 80k. I was looking at synthetics. The ones I have narrowed it down to are Mobil 1 High Mileage Synthetic, Valvoline Maxlife Fully Synthetic and Supertech Synthetic. Any opinions?

Is it losing oil? Why those HM's? I would try to find an oil that is put on sale at the auto stores. If it has to be a HM oil try a conventional that is on sale quite often like Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil. Walmart is a lousy place to buy oil nowadays.

All of those choices are OK if you need them. Some like M1 others like Valvoline, and SuperTech is fine too I am sure.

Last edited:
I'm afraid to run regular synthetic oil that's why I chose high mileage above 75k

Last edited:
What kind of an OCI are you looking to run? If you are running your oil less than 5k I would skip using a synthetic. Why would you be afraid to run a regular synthetic?

OCI every 3-4 k. Heard too many horror stories about engines using oil once switched over to synthetic.. I drive short distances daily is the main reason of using synthetic

Have 114000 on my 2003 silverado. Just changed to Supertech 5w-30 synthetic after running dino. Runs like a top, no issues and I notice it starts little easier as temp is starting to drop around here.

Originally Posted By: cjohns79ut
OCI every 3-4 k. Heard too many horror stories about engines using oil once switched over to synthetic.. I drive short distances daily is the main reason of using synthetic

Older issues, with older formulations of synthetic. So, more of an old wives tale at this point.

Switch to a synthetic or High-mileage, top-off the initial loss(if any) from the initial switch. You're not going to start going through quarts and quarts of oil loss. If anything, maybe a quart over 3,000 initially(at most), but things do settle down.

Not a bad idea to stay with 3-4 thousand initially on synthetic, since it will probably do 'some' sort of cleaning, but after 10,000 on synthetic you can easily go at least 5,000 miles(7,500 as a cap depending on conditions) at the very least, IMO.

The sweet spot for most oils/engines seem to be between 3,000-6,000 miles. So really, especially swapping to synthetic, draining the oil between 3,000-4,000 is right when it's just gotten to it's best. At 'that' point, you have quite a while before the oil 'wears out'.

DISCLAIMER: This is under the assumption that the engine/application you are speaking of is in generally sound order(no malfunctions etc). Make sure to check that PCV valve on all of your apps, folks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back