M1 SS and Amsoil S3K HDD Mix in Subaru OBW

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my UOA, by OAI-CTC, using a mix of 3qts. Mobil 1 SS 10w30, 1 1/2qts. Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5w30 and 4ozs of Auto-RX. The sample run was 4Apr'03 to 4Aug'03 using OEM oil and air filters. 12ozs, relatively same ratio of mixed oil, was added on 31Jul'03 prior to a 500 mile roundtrip drive the next day. 4316 miles on this sample of which about 25% are hiway miles.

My numbers (ppm) and first column is my prior oil UOA using Mobil 1 SS 10w30 for 3503 miles are:
code:

Iron 5 7

Chromium 0 1

Lead 2 2

Copper 1 8

Tin 0 0

Aluminum 2 3

Nickle 0 0

Silver 0 0

Silicon 4 9

Boron 149 134

Sodium 0 0

Magnesium 29 28

Calcium 3026 3222

Barium 0 0

Phosphorus 1044 1134

Zinc 1157 1267

Molybdenum 79 51

Titanium 0 0

Vanadium 0 0

Potassium 0 0

Fuel
Vis@100cSt 9.69 10.57

Water 0 0

Glycol 0 0

Nitr 22 18

Oxid 49 33

TBN 5.86 5.41

Overall, I'm very pleased with this report. Especialy, since I had expected silicon levels to rise because of the amount of beach driving I've done lately....blowing sand and been badly stuck 4-5 times. Copper jumped, percentage-wise, but still low level. I had planned a oil and air filter change until I saw this report, now I'll wait till just before this 1,100 mile trip next month.

Your comments are greatly welcomed and appreciated.......bgin

Given the 800 mile interval difference the numbers are basically the same except for copper. Is the hassle of mixing this brew worth it?? either way the numbers look pretty good to me.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
What's the advantage of this mix over just using straight Mobil-1 or Amsoil?

Probably no advantage at all, but I suspect he probably did it just so that he didn't let any oil go to waste. I've got a bunch of single bottles of different oils that sooner or later have to be used up, so at some point I'll end up running a real witch's brew in some lucky vehicle.

jsharp post:

Unless I tried the mix and then take an UOA, the advantage was none. There are qualities in M1 missing in S3K and vice versa and I wanted both...so I mixed.

I got lucky and ended up with a good UOA report and found out, no real advantage.

On a sidenote, my nitration numbers went down considerably. Was this because of the extra detergent qualities of S3K or because this oil was runned during spring-summer season whereas the first report was during the winter-time?

Thanks...bgin

quote:

On a sidenote, my nitration numbers went down considerably. Was this because of the extra detergent qualities of S3K or because this oil was runned during spring-summer season whereas the first report was during the winter-time?

Probably a bit of both, but the bigger factor would've been the weather.

quote:

Originally posted by '00obw:
jsharp post:

Unless I tried the mix and then take an UOA, the advantage was none. There are qualities in M1 missing in S3K and vice versa and I wanted both...so I mixed.

I got lucky and ended up with a good UOA report and found out, no real advantage.

Thanks...bgin

Thanks. I didn't know if it was intentional or as Patman suggested. Looks like a good report in any case but I'll bet the weather had as much to do with the differences as anything...

friendly_jacek posted:

I thought AWD would bail you out.>

Nah...all AWD did was allow me go deeper before I got stuck
smile.gif

After reading more UOAs and roughly comparing figures to mine, I'm sure I go longer than the planned oil change next month...about 5300 miles on sample then. Actually, I would now hope to make thru to the 1st of Nov. when I would do a winter changeover. Think this oil could make it?

Thanks...bgin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back