M1 basestock group, did we get a concensus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0W-40 Japanese MSDS thread
Quote:
0W-40 – Revised Dec 31, 2008
KEROSENE...0.1-1 %weight
SLACK WAX (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED...50-60 %weight
Mineral Oil...5-10 %weight

Group IV and V fluids do not need to be mentioned in the Japanese MSDSs so the above lists only what is Group I, II, or III. What cannot be determined from the fluids not listed is how much is PAO, ester, and alkylated napthalene. That unknown makes answering your question not possible. It definitely contains at least some high viscosity PAO (what was formerly sold by XOM Chemical as Supersyn) as do all M1 oils that mention Supersyn. Just based on the long drain capability of M1 0W-40, it most likely also contains esters and/or alkylated napthalene because these improve such performance when mixed with PAO.

Saying any oil "is Group X" where X is 1-5 is too crude to be of worth. Usually the reality is there are many fluid components even when the majority fluid is one thing.

The Auto-RX guidance on acceptable oils to use makes no sense. PAO is mentioned as something to avoid. It is the farthest thing from something that is polar and will compete with Auto-RX's esters. Some oils containing PAO may have a large amount of esters that will compete while other PAO-containing oils may only have mineral oil for additive solubility which does not compete with Auto-RX. An oil containing Group III may have a large amount of esters that will compete with Auto-RX. The guidance will disallow both of the above hypothetical oils containing PAO (rightly for the one and wrongly for the other). It will also wrongly allow the hypothetical oil containing Group III. Am I misunderstanding the guidance?

I'd want an oil containing a lot of ester and dispersants/detergents for the rinse phase if cost were no object. Those components will attach to the Auto-RX esters and help pull them off of surfaces. I won't run Auto-RX anymore because a significant portion of it's lanolin esters didn't get pulled off from my VW 1.8T engine's surfaces in the valvetrain/valvecover region. They eventually got baked on...not cool.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Doug Hillary seems to have the inside track on some of this due to his close dealings with Mobil and personal use of this oil and others, and has mentioned IIRC that the 0W-40 is mainly group IV/V. I would not doubt that it has a small shot of something else like group II/III or AN for additive solubility, but that is speculation.

There ya go can't get any better/closer then that.

I can. First off, the formulation in the US is different than the rest of the world's. They get the same stuff as our old SL version. If you look at the PDS for the current US SM version, you will notice that it does not list the VW spec 503.01 as it did for the older SL version and what the rest of the world gets in their current SM version. The VW 503.01 spec is for high horsepower Audi turbo motors and every oil that I have ever seen with this spec is a gourp 4/5 oil and typically a 0w-30/40 and not cheap to buy.

With the absence of this VW spec and the fact that they no longer advertise the pour point on the US PDS, I think it's safe to assume it's more of a group 3 oil in the US now. I guess they feel it's ok since Castrol did the same thing with their Syntec 5w-50.

What's ironic is that they call it "European Formula", when it is really not that at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back