M1 5W-30, GC 0W-30 or other for 04 Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like some opinions regarding what oil to use in my Wife's '04 Subaru Forester. I'm changing it out next week, so I though I'd ask for some opinions!

I've used M1 5-30 since I changed out the factory fill, and have also been using the OEM oil filter which is supposedly pretty good.

The car gets about 7,500 miles/yr, and I change out the oil every six months (fall and spring). I'm probably fine with my program, but reading this forum can CHANGE YOU FOREVER!!! I know that M1 is really good generally, but from what I've been reading their 5-30 isn't as good as the rest of their grades.

So, I was at the local AZ today, and they have the above mentioned M1, along with an abundance of the apparently cherished "Made in Germany" Syntec 0-30, the Valvoline Synpower and MaxLife 5-30, and the new Pennsoil PP stuff.

The car is still under warranty and the oil fill cap commands me to use 5-30. So, what synthetic 5-30-ish oil would you suggest?

Thanks!!!!

Not a big fan of M1 5w-30 in Subarus, too many WRX and STi owners seem to have abnormal consumption issues with it. Currently using GC (green) in my '05 STi with a planned 5,000 mile OCI.

But unless your wife drives the bejeezus out of her Forester (or if it's the Forester XT turbo model), any of the oils you mentioned will probably do just fine, especially considering the relatively short OCI you're planning on running.

You will notice smoother, quieter running engine if you use a non-synthetic 10W-30. Even though it says 5W-30 on the filler cap, do not be mislead into thinking that that's the required weight. Subaru puts it there to get credits for CAFE. If you read the owner's manual, you will see that 10W-30 is one of your choices.

In my experience, Castrol GTX 10W-30 works best in Subaru engines. Using Mobil 1 will lead to slightly higher wear and noisier engine. Using GC will definitely lead to rougher running engine, although wear will be fine.

With a high quality 5w-30 like Mobil1 AND the fact that the oil's getting changed at 3,700 miles AND the fact that NJ gets cold in the winter, I see NO benefit of a 10w-30, only detriment.

Unless this is a turbo, pick a quality dino 5w-30 and enjoy the Forester for the next 1/4 million miles.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Using GC will definitely lead to rougher running engine, although wear will be fine.

That wasn't the case with the vast majority of GC users (judging by their responses here on BITOG).
Actually it's quite opposite.

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
That wasn't the case with the vast majority of GC users (judging by their responses here on BITOG).
Actually it's quite opposite.

2. that. I've been using M1 0W-40 before. Changed to GC (SLX) 0W-30. Fuel consumption hasn't changed and engine is running smooth as before.

My 2000 Forester with 97,000 miles run as new with 5w or 10w30 Mobil 1 + oem or PureOne oil filter. I do 5,000 miles change interval and Blackstone said try a 7,000 miles oci as the analysis was so good.

Thanks all...Its the non-turbo 2.5, and my wife doesn't abuse the car. I'm not having any problems, and from what I can tell there is no consumption at all.

Maybe I'll just stick with what I'm doing, but I can see the point in just using a good dino considering I have low mileage on each OCI.

Have always felt better using synthetics, but maybe I should reconsider for this car.

Thanks!

Edited to add....I'm planning on doing a UOA on this car with the current oil to see how its going.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Using GC will definitely lead to rougher running engine, although wear will be fine.

Don't think I agree with the rougher running engine part of this statement. In my experience thus far with the GC (2,500 miles on it right now) and comparing it to the conventional (Mobil Drive Clean 5W-30) and semi-synthetic (Motorcraft 5w-30 and Mobil Clean 7500 10w-30) oils I used prior, the GC has quieted the engine down quite a bit. But obviously YMMV.

If you wife doesn't beat the snot out of this car, then stick with M1 5W30... you know it'll be available for the lifetime of that car, and frankly, a good dino 5W30 could withstand your OCIs, but enjoy your extra margin of safety
smile.gif

I agree with surfstar, Mobil 7500 5W-30 would be a great choice if you continue to drive only 7500 miles per year and change every 6 months.

As much as I like Mobil 1, it seems that you don't drive enough or that hard, and NJ isn't that cold or hot...so you really don't need Mobil 1 unless you decide to change at 7500 miles or 12 months.

By using Mobil 7500 as opposed to Mobil 1, nj300se would be saving only about $20 annually on oil changes. I wouldn't even consider anything else but full synthetic under those circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back