M1 5-30 7000 miles 6.8 v10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just got the report from blackstone. Mileage was just short of 7000 miles, mostly highway out to Montana and back to New Hampshire.

Blackstone says it looks terrific, I tend to agree.

Questions:

What would cause the viscosity to go from a 5-30 to a 10-30?

Is that much moly from the M1 or my engine?

Other ideas?

I think I'll stick with the 5-30 instead of the 0-20.

Here's the report:

http://www.whatsupballooning.com/m15307000.htm

Thanks

Ray...
cool.gif

Excellent report! I'd stick with that or a 10w-30. It did thicken but wear numbers were not effected, if anything they benefited from it. *Take note of the calcium levels Mobil is using now and has been for a few months. Well over 3k ppm and a good dose of Boron. Lead of 1 is incredible!

[ August 18, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I have no idea why they feel that your oil appears to be more like 10W-30. They should both have similar viscosity specs at 100C. What you are seeing is a slight increase in viscosity as the result of oxidation. Perfectly normal and very typical for an oil used mostly for highway driving.

Yeah, they'd have to do viscosity at 40*C to get the VI then guess at the "w" designation. Also the moly is a M1 add.

Is this the Ford F250SD V-10? If so, it's remarkable how closely your wear metals compare with the other 3 reports on that engine. On a per-mile basis your wear is almost identical to the Motorcraft 5w-20 reports.

This engine is really putting up some good numbers.

[ August 18, 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

This v10 is in a 2002 Excursion Limited. At almost 4 tons, I love the way this engines kicks.
Out in the flat country, Wy, SD & MT we would run at 85-90 with the trailer. The engine didn't even break a sweat. We left the trailer in Billings for 3 days and went to Yellowstone. On the highway over there from Billings I found the electronic speed limiter at 97mph.

I expected the OA to show more wear with that much abuse.

God Ilove this truck even more now.

R

Nice results!

Anyone else notice how much the M1 thickened? It went from around 9.8 or so to 11.9. Still a 30w oil, but intersesting nonetheless. (especially in light of everyone saying the 5w30 shears too easily).

As far as Blackstones 10w30 comment, i think it probably comes from seeing the 5w30 oils always looking thinner in their tests than the 10w30. In order to really tell, they would need to run a Cold Crank Simulator Test at -25 and -30C to tell the difference - it isn't the 40C numbers that make it a 5w or 10w

Wear compared to the other v10 results suggest two things:

1. This engine appears to throw out some very nice results - as clean or cleaner than other modular motors in this lineup (4.6l, 5.4l (stroked 4.6) and the 6.8 V10 (stroked 4.6 + 2 cyl))

2. Either a an xw30 or an xw20 is a good choice here. Compared to the other V10 results compiled here, on a per 1000 miles basis, the xw20 oils are comparing very well to the 5w30 in this report, with very similar wear rates. The 5w30 here should have performed better given its better basestock (PAO) and premium price.

The funny thing is, we rarely see Mobil 1 thicken or thin so in my view, it seems to be one of the most shear stable oils, even though it's HT/HS is not the greatest.

At the risk of being overly repetitive I must call attention to the fact that I have 4 anal. of my 2002 sivo 4.3 showing visc at 14 to 14.2 I asked them to check calibration on their viscometer but got no reply. 6 to 7 k miles.

The silicon seems kind of high. Probably its indicative of a new truck. I have never seen the Mobil 1 thicken up like this. And yes - where do they cme to the conclusion that it looks like a 10W oil ?? Anyway god report. How many miles on the truck??

As of this report Just under 36000. HAve to come off warranty some time. Also, I did an auto-rx treatment the oil change before this run.

Could the source of the good numbers be because of the ARX at 29000?

R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back