M1-209 spin-oil filter durability review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a long, long time ago that I'd open up an M1-209 after 15k-20k miles in use as an external transmission filter. It's taken me a year or longer to get around to cutting it open. Sorry, no pics.

The filter was added inline to the 2006 tundra in my sig, and was installed with existing fluid (about 15k on the fluid) and then run for 15-20k as stated above. Transmission was noted to gradually change to a more consistent shift quality over time, certainly not immediate, especially between warm and cold temps, after installing the filter. Internally, the trans has a debris screen but no filter element.

I was worried about extended use of an oil filter in this long-term application and pulled it mainly to evaluate how it was holding up. I didn't want it to deteriorate and pollute the trans.

I cut the can with a dremel tool and pulled it apart. The media looked "blush"-pink when viewed straight-on, with brown tint if looked at from an angle, with no visible physical powder, debris or residue. Grabbing the end caps, grabbing the media, twisting, pulling, pressing, poking-- it was rock solid. I sliced the media with a razor all the way around and it put up a real fight - very sturdy, didn't want to let go, and was surprisingly thick. The media would not let go of the end caps - very well-glued. I'd have no problem installing one for a much longer interval.

-meep

Last edited:
postpics.gif

Seriously though, it's good to know that the filter held up as well as it did, and performed as well as it did at cleaning up the fluid..

.. but really, this thread needs pics.

^ I see there are buttons now on the reply window. if it allows direct posting of pics I will add. If it requires external hosting, not going to bother with it. will look later - (I did take a few).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back