WATER 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 375 425

SUS VIS 210ºF 70.9 83.5

cSt @ 212ºF 13.19 16.40

FUEL TR
TBN 5.1 3.4

TAN 6.3 3.4

Blackstone sez:

We did notice a slight increase in iron with this sample. You mentioned that you're running the engine hard, and a little extra iron can be a normal side effect of hard use. Other metals look great and this isn't enough iron to really worry about, so we're not too terribly concerned. There was a trace of fuel in this sample, but that's probably operational in nature and fuel isn't a major concern until it reads 2.0% of the sample or higher. The TBN read strong at 5.1 and the TAN was 6.3. Both readings are a little higher than normal, but still fine as far as we can see.

My thoughts:

The M1 0w40 seems to work well for this car, and could've gone much further than 6,000 miles. The iron is slightly elevated but everything else is fine so I agree that it's probably nothing. Considering how I drive the car to redline often coupled with the short-trip nature of my driving, and how high-strung the engine is to begin with, the numbers look good.

Fuel was probably elevated since I didn't drive it very far to get the oil change that morning and it was probably running a tad rich. The car has a very aggressive cold idle to help warm the pre-cats.

The only reason I changed it was because the CBS indicated I needed a change (it thought this was still the original TWS with 13,674 mi on it). I have opted to do "intermediate" changes at the halfway point between BMW's recommended 15k intervals. At this rate, I will probably change it again in the late winter.

Originally Posted By: domer10
Just picked up 135i with 49000 kilometres, first thing I did was swap it to 0w40.

01.gif

11 ppm of iron over 6K miles is a non issue. I'm not sure why BStone is even bringing it up. I guess they were obligated to write something...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
11 ppm of iron over 6K miles is a non issue. I'm not sure why BStone is even bringing it up. I guess they were obligated to write something...

Yeah, I guess. 11ppm in 6k vs 8ppm in almost 8k is noteworthy but I agree that it's fairly trivial. Could just be some streaking or whatever.

Iron is not an issue here at all, but not quite sure flash point is.
I think drop to 375 after 6K is too much, which is consequence of fuel traces.
Personally, I would stay at 5K.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Did you miss this part?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Fuel was probably elevated since I didn't drive it very far to get the oil change that morning and it was probably running a tad rich. The car has a very aggressive cold idle to help warm the pre-cats.

I couldn't realistically drive it for a long time prior to dropping off. The dealership is literally 3 blocks from me, and who knows how many times their lot attendants started up the car for 60 seconds to shuffle it around.

Again, even though some of that stuff is questionable, the UOA doesn't really prove that it's causing a problem. The S65 motor is built like a tank and can really handle a lot.

Personally, I would stay at 5K.

That makes no sense. Fuel was obviously from the shirt trip to the shop.
5000 mile intervals are absurd with the ability of this oil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Did you miss this part?

Originally Posted By: dparm

Yeah, did not really think about that.
It is morning, still drinking coffee!

Everything looks good Dan, where did that 1ppm of lead come from?

Did you stay with M1 or are you making the switch to PUE Ferrari oil?
smile.gif

According to regular guy on m3post.com, the newer version of the crank bearings are made mostly with copper/aluminum, so I guess it's safe to say no bearing wear in your sample.

10~11ppm of iron has been the norm with M1 0W40 according to the numerous UOAs posted on m3post.com

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Everything looks good Dan, where did that 1ppm of lead come from?

Did you stay with M1 or are you making the switch to PUE Ferrari oil?
smile.gif

According to regular guy on m3post.com, the newer version of the crank bearings are made mostly with copper/aluminum, so I guess it's safe to say no bearing wear in your sample.

10~11ppm of iron has been the norm with M1 0W40 according to the numerous UOAs posted on m3post.com

Since this change was done at the dealer, I went back to Castrol Edge Professional TWS. For my intermediate ones I will likely stick with LL-01 oils like M1 0w40, PUE, etc.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
cool, I guess we'll find out if the iron wear will come down.

Even if it doesn't, I'm not worried. S65 is pretty stout and way overbuilt...and I'm covered with BMW's EVP warranty until 2017/100k.

Nice report.
Were you particularly interested in TAN (paid extra) in addition to TBN or is that something BlackStone is including now?

What were your maximum oil temp's under full throttle conditions during this OCI?

Originally Posted By: domer10
Just picked up 135i with 49000 kilometres, first thing I did was swap it to 0w40.

We just picked up a 2010 328i for my wife this week, with 81,000 km on it and I plan on changing it over to M1 0w40 next week even though the onboard display claims it can go another 9000km. I just don't like not knowing what oil is in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back