M1 0W vs. 5W40 HTHS

In an oil convo/post over on a VW forum I'm active on and this came up....the HTHS of the M1 Euro 5W40 is 3.9 and only 3.6 for 0W40 (not listed on PDS for whatever reason so found it here). Why again is everyone obsessed with the 0W40 vs. the 5W40? Is that 3.6 not accurate?
M1 5w40 euro is new. Perhaps a modification of Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5w40. My guess is that the euro crowd didn't really notice it under the Mobil Super label and retailers didn't carry it. M1 FS Euro 5w30 (A3/B4) is also new. Why is nobody talking about that?

Last edited:
Mobil stopped providing HT/HS and VI for many grades around the time Gokhan created the BOQI. Odd timing but it does appear that way.

The HT/HS of the FS 0w40 is unknown. Looks to be PAO/GTL.

Well we know the HTHS is 3.5 mPa*s or above given the VAG A40 and MB229.5x approvals

The new FS 0W40 is also an unknown animal as it is a new formulation. The reported density is a low-ish 0.841g/ml

The new FS 5W40 also has a reported density of 0.841g/ml (both ex. rounded to three decimal places)

The Density of the previous (and familiar) formulation of FS 0W40 was reported as 0.846g/ml

No dog in the hunt, just poking around my vast downloaded PDS library

- Ken

Well we know the HTHS is 3.5 mPa*s or above given the VAG A40 and MB229.5x approvals

The new FS 0W40 is also an unknown animal as it is a new formulation. The reported density is a low-ish 0.841g/ml

The new FS 5W40 also has a reported density of 0.841g/ml (both ex. rounded to three decimal places)

The Density of the previous (and familiar) formulation of FS 0W40 was reported as 0.846g/ml

No dog in the hunt, just poking around my vast downloaded PDS library

- Ken
It looks to be an Mg/Ca SP version of the prior version. PAO/GTL/V blend.

Most euro 0w40 have low HTHS as well as the 5w40s like 505.01 spec are usually 3.6. It’s unusual to have anything higher but there are a couple at 4.0+ offerings like Ravenol and Rowe Hitech synth RS and Redline.

Most euro 0w40 have low HTHS as well as the 5w40s like 505.01 spec are usually 3.6. It’s unusual to have anything higher but there are a couple at 4.0+ offerings like Ravenol and Rowe Hitech synth RS and Redline.
I asked Shell today what the HTHS was for PP Euro 5w-40 and they said it’s confidential due to agreements with their additive suppliers. I find that rather hard to believe but whatever.

I asked Shell today what the HTHS was for PP Euro 5w-40 and they said it’s confidential due to agreements with their additive suppliers. I find that rather hard to believe but whatever.
They said the same thing in regard to Noack. :rolleyes:

motul x-clean 5-40 gen 2 and x-cess 5-40 gen 2 have 3.8 and 3.9 hths
M1 5w40 euro is new. Perhaps a modification of Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5w40. My guess is that the euro crowd didn't really notice it under the Mobil Super label and retailers didn't carry it. M1 FS Euro 5w30 (A3/B4) is also new. Why is nobody talking about that?

none of these oils has yet reached European market.

mobil 5-40 only these :
https://www.mobil.com/en-gr/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-super-3000-xe1-5w40

mobil 5-30:
mobil 1 esp formula 5-30
mobil 1 esp 5-30 (api sp) which from what i see today hit the European market in a big internet store ,60 euros 5lt

mobil 0-40:
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68959-mobil-1-fs-0w-40-advanced-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx
Mobil 1 esp x3 0-40 https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-804-mobil-1-esp-x3-0w-40-advanced-fully-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 https://www.mobil.eu/en-gb/lubricants/product-series/product-series/mobil-1-esp-0w-30

now it depends on the country some of these oils come in stores but some are only for service stations only , (not in a can/bottle)

what i find interesting is after motul's x-clean 5-40 gen 2 or x-cess gen 2 with viscosity 13.5 and higher hths 3.9 , mobil now produces thinner oils like motul ,with high hths? , at least for mobil fs 5-40.

trend now seems to be thinner oils for 5-40 from what i see from these 2 companies.

Reactions: FCD
Why not try the M1 5W-40 with the higher hths if the oil meets or exceeds what's specified in the OM?

I may try M1 5W-40 if we are driving to Vegas with a loaded car in the summer. That's the only time I have tried 40. Meanwhile my favorite M1 is M1 EP 10W-30.

M1 FS 0W-40 burned in my car. I mentioned it in another thread but Castrol Euro 0W-40 didn't. I think Noack wise they are pretty close also. Must be something in the base oil and/or the add pack combined with the given engine since many others have no issues with it.

I have one more jug of M1 FS 0W-40 in the garage that's going in next week for the summer and a possible Vegas trip and will have one more piece of data. My FS are 2-3 years old in case the formulation has changed.
I've run the 5W40 M1 as well as the 0W. Currently on the HPL bandwagon. If I went back to peasant/poors oils I would run the 5W40 for sure. 🤣

I've run the 5W40 M1 as well as the 0W. Currently on the HPL bandwagon. If I went back to peasant/poors oils I would run the 5W40 for sure. 🤣

Easy to find the categories!

P40 Peasant oils:
Fancier oils located on the upper shelves of Wal-Mart. Look for words like: Euro/FS/Ultra/EP/Platinum/Edge/Advanced/Performance, etc.

P39 SP (Super Pheasant) oils:
Located on lower shelves of Wal-Mart and Costco.

Full disclosure:
I Recently purchased bunch of P39 on sale at Costco.

Now that fancier oils are hiding HTHS and Noack numbers, pheasant advisory board recommends staying away from thin and/or wide spread oils (e.g. 0W-40) until further notice.

Last edited:
HTHS > 3.5 but in the 'more is better crowd' u gotta know the number!'

But do you know what you engine really wants, what it really really wants, spice gurl?

Back