M1 0W vs. 5W40 HTHS

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
In an oil convo/post over on a VW forum I'm active on and this came up....the HTHS of the M1 Euro 5W40 is 3.9 and only 3.6 for 0W40 (not listed on PDS for whatever reason so found it here). Why again is everyone obsessed with the 0W40 vs. the 5W40? Is that 3.6 not accurate?

In an oil convo/post over on a VW forum I'm active on and this came up....the HTHS of the M1 Euro 5W40 is 3.9 and only 3.6 for 0W40 (not listed on PDS for whatever reason so found it here). Why again is everyone obsessed with the 0W40 vs. the 5W40? Is that 3.6 not accurate?
I am bit taken back that the new SP has such a high KV100 and such low HTHS. But, where is the source of 3.9?

I am bit taken back that the new SP has such a high KV100 and such low HTHS. But, where is the source of 3.9?
The 3.9 is on the M1 site's PDS for the 5W40.

I can't find anything that lists the current HTHS viscosity, the old SN version of FS 0W40 was 3.6 but the KV100 was only 12.9 the new version is 13.8, the HTHS of 3.9 for 5W40, I have only found on a French market PDS for an older SN product that may or may not be the same thing as the older FS/FSX2 SN formulation we had here that had a KV100 of 13.7, while the KV100 of the new US market version of FS 5W-40 is 13.2. Mobil 0W-40 is probably the most recommended because for years it was Mobil's only US market A3/B4 oil with a wide range of Euro approvals, the FS(X2) 5W-40 product has only been around for around 2 years and they very recently added FS 5W-30 to the US market, so I guess old habits just never die.

even Redlines REAL synthetics using lighter base oils have lesser specs IMO so use the oils with a bigger first # as long as your ambient temp tolerates it. i use Redline 15-50 in my "hopped up" 2001 TT about 300 HP + TQ + my boost-vac gauge shows more vac than the lighter real synthetics i used in the past + although only just over 50 thou my engine is prolly loose so the heavier oil @ running temp is a good thing IMO!! your $$$$ your choice. i live in Pa + the car rarely is used in very cold temps!!

It’s likely the HTHS of the new 0W-40 FS SP is higher than 3.6. The 14.1 cSt ESP X3 is 3.8 in the PDS. Different product though so probably best to ask Mobil.

Some blenders don't even know their own specs. Websites and pdfs are rarely, slowly, and usually poorly updated... then they have some customer service support clown give questionable info.

Some live in cold climates or suffer winters and might want a 0w over 5w.
I do prefer the HTHS of the 5w's over the 0w's. For some, its difficult to go from the OE recommended 5w20 or 0w20 to a 5w40, which leaves 'em the 0w40 as an option, or a high hths 0w30.

cst's are interesting:

Wow:

You have a valid question here, maybe due to better base stocks? Anyway, M1 0W-40 has been the one that my car burns the most out of all 229.5 oils I have tested.

Why not try the M1 5W-40 with the higher hths if the oil meets or exceeds what's specified in the OM?

I may try M1 5W-40 if we are driving to Vegas with a loaded car in the summer. That's the only time I have tried 40. Meanwhile my favorite M1 is M1 EP 10W-30.

M1 FS 0W-40 burned in my car. I mentioned it in another thread but Castrol Euro 0W-40 didn't. I think Noack wise they are pretty close also. Must be something in the base oil and/or the add pack combined with the given engine since many others have no issues with it.

I have one more jug of M1 FS 0W-40 in the garage that's going in next week for the summer and a possible Vegas trip and will have one more piece of data. My FS are 2-3 years old in case the formulation has changed.

Last edited:
Does someone know what the heck this product is? Yet another 0W-40. Triple action but mostly European approvals. Not the same specs as FS SP or SN. Google takes me to it depending on the search terms and how you enter the Mobil site. It must be some regional product? Different page from FS. They might have more 0W-40s than the rest of the majors combined.

Compare to

Does someone know what the heck this product is? Yet another 0W-40. Triple action but mostly European approvals. Not the same specs as FS SP or SN. Google takes me to it depending on the search terms and how you enter the Mobil site. It must be some regional product? Different page from FS. They might have more 0W-40s than the rest of the majors combined.

Compare to
I've only ever seen the gold jugs like used for Mobil1 sold outside the North American market.

Compare to
For what market did you find the Jug? There's no PDS available for the Jug. The PDS for the other link is dated 4/24/23.

Back