Lufthansa A380 Landing in SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent Video!

In a previous thread we discussed the nuances of Landing in SFO. Watch this http://www.wimp.com/approachlanding for a nice perspective. (Although ATC did give them a wide berth for the approach.) Keep in mind that this Airbus A380 was flown much differently than the Asiana flight in SFO. This is an excellent example of how to do it right.

You will notice the crew using the Mode Control Panel (upper dash area) to input ATC instructions. This is what every flight crew will do in the arrival area, leaving the FMC (Flight Management Computers) alone. This demonstrates what both myself and Astro14 have been pointing out regarding how flight operations are conducted in the real world. There can be some occasions when you will update the FMC, but generally it will be to update a new runway so you will have the published missed approach should that be required.

757 Guy

Last edited:
I will fly a380-800 soon for the first time.that one is a monster. Kinda exited. But it will be 18.5 hour flight, that is not exiting
frown.gif

Thanks 757. My hats off to you guys.

What's your take on this:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Federal aviation officials have advised all foreign airlines to use a GPS system instead of visual reckoning and cockpit instruments when landing at San Francisco International Airport in the wake of the deadly Asiana Airlines crash.

The Federal Aviation Administration issued the recommendation on Sunday involving main runways at the airport, saying in a statement that it took the action after noticing an increase in aborted landings by some foreign carriers flying visual approaches into the airport.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I want the part where the plane was calling out 'retard' for a ringtone.

I can already see all the parents of mentally impaired children filing a petition to have this call-out word changed to something else...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I can already see all the parents of mentally impaired children filing a petition to have this call-out word changed to something else...

I've often wondered why Airbus used "retard". Idle thrust would be more appropriate in my eyes.

It has been "retard" for 20 years now. I don't see Airbus changing that for any reason - it has nothing to do with mentally impaired people. You must remember that it is a French designed airplane.

Hey, I get it. I'm not one of those parents. Just saying... I've seen people cry rivers and organize themselves for even smaller causes...

That is an interesting video. Do you think he was surfing BITOG when he was using the keyboard?
I thought the pronunciation of "retard" was interesting also. Shows how we've been programmed. I am surprised it didn't pronounce it "ritard" instead of "reetard".

Originally Posted By: 757guy

It has been "retard" for 20 years now. I don't see Airbus changing that for any reason - it has nothing to do with mentally impaired people. You must remember that it is a French designed airplane.

It isn't. Think about it..............

Originally Posted By: GregGA

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Federal aviation officials have advised all foreign airlines to use a GPS system instead of visual reckoning and cockpit instruments when landing at San Francisco International Airport in the wake of the deadly Asiana Airlines crash.

The Federal Aviation Administration issued the recommendation on Sunday involving main runways at the airport, saying in a statement that it took the action after noticing an increase in aborted landings by some foreign carriers flying visual approaches into the airport.

It is always a good idea to have some sort of vertical and lateral guidance on an approach, as a cross check for what you are seeing outside; it helps with situational awareness.

Couple this with the fact that many foreign carriers use low time first officers and you have your answer. One guy I flew with is currently employed by an Indian carrier, and said his FOs get wide eyed and very nervous flying a visual approach, and need lots of coaching when doing so. He said their pre-airline training got them very proficient at pushing buttons, but that their skill level at hand flying the airplane left much to be desired.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: GregGA

It is always a good idea to have some sort of vertical and lateral guidance on an approach, as a cross check for what you are seeing outside; it helps with situational awareness.

Couple this with the fact that many foreign carriers use low time first officers and you have your answer. One guy I flew with is currently employed by an Indian carrier, and said his FOs get wide eyed and very nervous flying a visual approach, and need lots of coaching when doing so. He said their pre-airline training got them very proficient at pushing buttons, but that their skill level at hand flying the airplane left much to be desired.

Yeah, as I recall having read in Aviation Week, most of the missed approaches were actually "go-arounds" in visual conditions and based on unstabilized approaches.

As noted in Kuato's post, I have read that researchers have recently learned that pilots at certain foreign carriers lack the basic "stick and rudder" skills needed to be competent. They said the pilots could work magic with an iPad, iPhone, or FMCs and flat panel displays. However, make them keep their eyes focused through the windscreen and give them a VASI and a visual approach and things begin to look ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back