Lucid Air - The new Buick?

Correct me if im wrong, but the GS is not similar to the Camry nor the Avalon in any significant way, it is an entirely different base chassis. It shares much in common with their JDM RWD luxury sedans like the Toyota Mark X, certain models of the Crown line as well as the Lexus IS. The ES is the FWD based on the Camry/Avalon platform.

As for the Lucid, I think they look great. Much better than a Model S. I think the styling on the model 3 and Y is pretty good but always hated how the S looks in person.
Yes, you are right about the GS to Camry comparison. They are similar in size, but are vastly different. The GS was built under the N platform, which was the luxury line, sometimes called the "GS platform". I was referring to size. In retrospect, your point is more accurate.

Can't say I agree with your thoughts on the Lucid. I have seen a few running around. Looks like an upside down bath tub, and not in a good way like the gorgeous bath tub Porsches...

Reactions: KJH
Yes, you are right about the GS to Camry comparison. They are similar in size, but are vastly different. The GS was built under the N platform, which was the luxury line, sometimes called the "GS platform". I was referring to size. In retrospect, your point is more accurate.

Can't say I agree with your thoughts on the Lucid. I have seen a few running around. Looks like an upside down bath tub, and not in a good way like the gorgeous bath tub Porsches...

I have not seen any in person, that is disappointing. The model S also looks much worse in person IMO than pictures as well.

Really? How I remember was the GS is the RWD sedan platform that they shrunk to make the IS, and is based off another international Toyota RWD car (Crown?).
I was wrong on my information of the GS being an upscale Avalon. Having had an Avalon in my family I always thought it would make sense that the GS would be a upscale image of it but I was wrong and I apologize.

GS300 is a Supra engine I believe.

Really? How I remember was the GS is the RWD sedan platform that they shrunk to make the IS, and is based off another international Toyota RWD car (Crown?).
Yes, you are right. Please refer to post #41. I was referring more to size.
The GS came in RWD like our F Sport and hybrid AWD. This is a great car.

Good details on Lucid (and other EV) battery packs.

Great video! This is going to set-off the charging in "Mph" folks. I've discussed the proper units for all of this on the board before, hopefully this video helps!

It's interesting to see somebody other than Tesla using cylindrical cells too.

Last edited:
Great video! This is going to set-off the charging in "Mph" folks. I've discussed the proper units for all of this on the board before, hopefully this video helps!

It's interesting to see somebody other than Tesla using cylindrical cells too.
Maybe they copied Tesla 😊

Does look like it, if you watch the video, though the guy doing the video did work for Tesla previously. While they are both using cylindrical cells, their cooling and pack design seems pretty ingenious.
Oh I'm going to watch the video right now, was my first thought about if the design is good, it would be copied.

I almost did a launch into off-topic future EV related stuff, but I won't.

I was wrong on my information of the GS being an upscale Avalon. Having had an Avalon in my family I always thought it would make sense that the GS would be a upscale image of it but I was wrong and I apologize.

GS300 is a Supra engine I believe.
There’s a 200t which is a 4cyl turbo and the 350 which is a 3.5L 6. The 6 is, I think the same block they put in everything else, but is a different animal within. I can’t recall the details, but it’s high strung, stronger internals, oil sprayers, both port and direct injection, and seems to have a following of its own for transplants into other vehicles. It’s not the quietest motor and is rather thirsty. It runs like a scalded dog if you get on it, but at least mine isn’t ”honda-refined“ at higher rpms…. it’s rather like thrashing a v6 in a minivan.

Good details on Lucid (and other EV) battery packs.

Well done.
A bit better presented than sandy Munro did a year ago but basically the same.
4680 pack follows the plate cooling vs channel method.

I see the Toyota Prius Prime has an mpg e of 133. Carrying a gas engine and all the things related, including a gas tank. One reason is engineering expertise, another is big batteries are heavy and that takes power to move. Leave it to Toyota though to get it done.

I see the Toyota Prius Prime has an mpg e of 133. Carrying a gas engine and all the things related, including a gas tank. One reason is engineering expertise, another is big batteries are heavy and that takes power to move. Leave it to Toyota though to get it done.
I think people have largely moved on from a Prius.

Another member here did a fine job of explaining how that ship may have sailed, other cars offering similar utility.

I think people have largely moved on from a Prius.

Another member here did a fine job of explaining how that ship may have sailed, other cars offering similar utility.
That really wasn’t what it was about, the model name, it was about the high 133 mpg e number. As for moving on from the Prius that could be a new topic in “vehicles.”
Not sure if anyone has a higher mpge number, I remember maybe 134. Leave it to Toyota to post a high efficiency number based on engineering if they want to.

Back