Lucas UCL vs. TCW3 rated 2 cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
I've been adding TCW3 oil to the fuel since 2012. Was wondering if the Lucas product has some properties superior to 2 cycle oil.

Any regular Lucas UCL users here?

I'm sure you'll find some. I tried the TCW3 stuff, UCL, etc. I've logged every tank of gas in all my vehicles for almost 20 years now.
Not once could I pick out statistically significant changes to mpg based on fuel additives. What was the most immediate, repeatable improvement to mpg?
Driving slower.
65 mph vs 75. Big difference, and this was in fuel efficient, aerodynamic smaller vehicles. Trucks/SUVs would be even more so.

What do I use now? RLI Bio-plus. My VW is a turbo, GDI. RLI is the only thing I found that might help valve deposits (recommended by Audi/VW owners, along with RLI oil, for deposit control - although I just run Mobil 1 and LC20)
I have 68k miles on my VW. No signs of intake valve issues. But since I don't have a control car to compare it against, I can't say that RLI did or did not do anything. Low, cheap, treat rate, so I continue to use it - just in case. 1oz per tank - gallon lasts a long, long time.

I could also never tell any difference in drive-ability, idle "smoothness" or any of the other butt-dyno claims that so many people tout. *shrug*

About ten years ago, I did try it for a while -- now, I just fill up regularly with Costco gasoline and call it good. The addpack that goes into Costco fuel at the point of sale is likely as good or better than most off-the-shelf additives, so I'm okay with that.

I use Lucas UCL regularly. It contains polyisobutylene which is a dispersant that improves combustion, an effective deposit control additive, and improves lubricity.

OK, I have a gallon ready to go. My usual fills are 9.5 - 11.5 gallons.

3 ounces sound about right?

I use one ounce of Lucas Fuel Treatment per 5 gallons so 2-3 ounces is OK. I buy the Lucas by the gallon too. I just picked up a gallon for $24 delivered from Advance Auto Parts, with a coupon.

I have a gallon in the garage. I’ll add some to my Silverado when I fill up with non top tier from time to time. The only difference I notice is my high pressure fuel pump is quieter with the UCL. No difference other than that.

I've been using Amsoil's upper cylinder lubricant. They show it to be better than Lucas but I think it would lose if judged in a cost benefit analysis.

I use Lucas UCL regularly. It contains polyisobutylene which is a dispersant that improves combustion, an effective deposit control additive, and improves lubricity.
I'm pretty sure I read something about TC-W3 containing the same chemical.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't very similar minus the dye used in 2T oil.

PIB is the additive used in Lucas UCL is used in some two stroke oils including TC-W3. PIB is a lot more concentrated in the Lucas though. Also the TW-W3 contains up to 40% petroleum solvent whereas the Lucas UCL has no solvent content listed. The Lucas is odorless while the two-strok oil does have a solvent smell. PIB is also a deposit-control additive used in gasoline. Here is a write-up on it from Chevron.

PIB is the additive used in Lucas UCL is used in some two stroke oils including TC-W3. PIB is a lot more concentrated in the Lucas though. Also the TW-W3 contains up to 40% petroleum solvent whereas the Lucas UCL has no solvent content listed. The Lucas is odorless while the two-strok oil does have a solvent smell. PIB is also a deposit-control additive used in gasoline. Here is a write-up on it from Chevron.

I splurged on a bottle of the Lucas UCL this morning at WM (beware -- it's $10, though it is a big bottle) and have put 4 oz. into the ~12 gallons in my tank. We'll see what happens if anything.

2007 TRX500 on 640:1 TC-W3.

P1030055.JPG

I do believe it is improving the idle. This is one Lucas product that appears to be legit.

I've been using Amsoil's upper cylinder lubricant. They show it to be better than Lucas but I think it would lose if judged in a cost benefit analysis.

Would Amsoil report their product as being less than their competetor? Not that Amsoil isn't top quality !!

Would Amsoil report their product as being less than their competetor? Not that Amsoil isn't top quality !!

No you're right but they did send it off for independent testing which is something.

"Based on independent testing of AMSOIL Upper Cylinder Lubricant, Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Sea Foam Motor Treatment obtained on 02/13/2019 using the ASTM D6079 modified for use with gasoline"

Little to no difference in MPG from my experience as I continue to use the additive...what I do notice is no trouble with getting rarely used engines to start right up after not being used for a long time. My log splitter, genny, ATV's, motorcycles, all get the treatment, and I have never had such trouble free use.

I am now finishing up my last gallon of Lucas UCL additive, been using it regularly for years although not on every tankful, about every 3-4 tanks I will use just straight gas. And I dose it on the lean side, about 0.75 ounce of additive for every 5 gallons of fuel. When the Lucas is used up, I will switch to TCW3 2-stroke oil as an additive because it contains more detergents and cleaners while still lubricating the fuel system and upper cylinder. Also it costs less than the Lucas. So I am curious to see how the TCW3 does. At these low dosage levels I am not at all concerned about the cats or any other potential ill effects... manufacturers say it's normal for engines to burn 1 quart every 1000 miles so I think we are OK here LOL.

No you're right but they did send it off for independent testing which is something.

"Based on independent testing of AMSOIL Upper Cylinder Lubricant, Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Sea Foam Motor Treatment obtained on 02/13/2019 using the ASTM D6079 modified for use with gasoline"
Do you know the technical reason why ASTM D6079 had to be modified for this instance? Two reasons really, and both are significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back