Lucas Oil Stabilizer helping

My daughter’s 2002 Blazer, 4.3 V6, was using about one quart of oil per week. No smoke, no leaks. Changed the oil. 3.5 quarts and one quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. 10 days in and no significant loss of oil.

My 91 Chevrolet K1500, 4.3 V6, was smoking like crazy and using oil due to bad valve guides. Changed oil, substituted one quart of LOS. It was smoking both on start up and while running. Now, just on startup and significantly less. 10 days in and no sign of oil consumption.

Will continue to monitor and update.

What grade are you using. Unless you're already using a 50 grade just bump up a grade from the 30 or 40 you may be using.

I will change out before winter. Looking at a different product, at least for mine. Liqui Moly Oil Saver.

Just use thicker oil that actually contains useful additives instead of crap bright stock Group I goop...
This.

Use Mobil 1 HM or Valvoline Maxlife to start. If there is still consumption, step up a grade. Lucas is just insanely heavy brightstock, red dye, tackifier and ultra cheap VII plastic.

This.

Use Mobil 1 HM or Valvoline Maxlife to start. If there is still consumption, step up a grade. Lucas is just insanely heavy brightstock, red dye, tackifier and ultra cheap VII plastic.

And actual motor oils may do some cleaning, although maybe one of the saving graces of Group I gunk is that it may help hold deposits in suspension, but not to get them there...

You know how Castrol claims their oil is "Liquid Engineering"? Well, I'd say Lucas is "Liquid Marketing" lol :ROFLMAO:
Castrol is probably one of the bigger customers that Afton Chemical has. They do like to save every penny they can, don't they?

For these companies it's 90% marketing and 10% work.

As stated, going up an oil grade would've achieved the same thing without diluting the additives. LOS is a $0.10 polymer in a $0.20 bottle sold at an 8,000% profit.
I can't believe that anyone is still using this stuff in 2022.

These are older vehicles likely with extreme mileage on them. I say use whatever works for you in spite of negative opinions and naysayers.

These are older vehicles likely with extreme mileage on them. I say use whatever works for you in spite of negative opinions and naysayers.
Uhm, no, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is still utter garbage. It doesn't help anything but instead can cause severe damage. There is just no way around it. As for high mileage vehicles, Lucas Oil Stabilizer is the last thing you want in a worn-out and possibly neglected engine. It will suck out whatever little life that engine has left.

By naysayers, you mean tribologists and chemists with decades of experience in engine oil formulating?

BITOG Lucas fail.jpg

By naysayers, you mean tribologists and chemists with decades of experience in engine oil formulating?

View attachment 102928

Best meme ever :ROFLMAO:

As long as people have an engine to experiment on, they will try whatever "mechanic in a bottle" they can get their hands on for under $20.

Maybe OP should add a bottle of Lubegard Bio-Tech to the mix? It doesn't do much, but it does more than Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

Best meme ever :ROFLMAO:

As long as people have an engine to experiment on, they will try whatever "mechanic in a bottle" they can get their hands on for under $20.

Maybe OP should add a bottle of Lubegard Bio-Tech to the mix? It doesn't do much, but it does more than Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

STP Oil Treatment as well since it's the same thing as Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but with at least a trace of additives, at half the cost.

I don't get the fascination with oil supplements. If your oil isn't cutting it, use a better oil.

Marketing works.
I addressed the question of additive displacement to Lubegard several times before but they wouldn't provide a straight answer. I imagine it provided a minute improvement "back in the day." It's foemulated in the wrong concentration though for it be a true oil additive, as in 3oz. pet quart of oil is way too much. As you said, just use better oil.

Back