Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer

I use that stuff in my Semi truck but that’s what it’s made for hence it says Heavy Duty on the bottle!
It's not made for anything, it's straight-up crap being sold as the magical ATE. It's nothing but a massive profit centre for the company producing it; it's best "feature" is the ability to move money from your wallet into the Lucas treasury, which is why they have a stadium and you don't, lol.

Because it's about $0.25 (and that may be being generous) worth of the cheapest possible garbage solid as a miracle. It's absolutely incapable of doing anything it claims to do except maybe slow oil consumption and that's only because it's about 10 billion times heavier than regular engine oil due to the heavy bright stock and massive amount of VII polymer, which are effectively the whole the of the product.
I’ve never understood why you have no opinion on this product 😆

Because it's about $0.25 (and that may be being generous) worth of the cheapest possible garbage solid as a miracle. It's absolutely incapable of doing anything it claims to do except maybe slow oil consumption and that's only because it's about 10 billion times heavier than regular engine oil due to the heavy bright stock and massive amount of VII polymer, which are effectively the whole the of the product.
Here is the machine that mixes/solubilizes polymer into the oil at the Lucas plant in Corydon, Indiana.

Well then, where can I find it for $0.25? It reduced my slow oil leak by a lot (had a bad oil seal drain bolt) and improved my mpg. If I can find the same stuff for $0.25 that will save me $ even more.

Well then, where can I find it for $0.25? It reduced my slow oil leak by a lot (had a bad oil seal drain bolt) and improved my mpg. If I can find the same stuff for $0.25 that will save me $ even more.
Yes, it's very heavy, which is why it slowed your leak, which is also why it didn't improve your mpg, which is physically impossible by going up in viscosity.

I would suggest a proper mechanical fix for your leak.

If you want to keep diluting your oil's additive package with heavy bright stock, see if you can find some wholesale, the price is super cheap:
The effects were felt globally. In the U.S., “producers’ bright stock posted prices steadily rose from a range of 5.54 to 5.96 cents per gallon on February 10, 2021, to historic highs of 7.49 to 7.76 cents per gallon on September 8, 2021,” Wheeler said. Meanwhile in Europe, Ray Masson, director of London-based Pumacrown Ltd., reported that the price for BS150 rose from around U.S. $700 per metric ton in early 2020 to $2,250 in mid-2021.

Even at the "high" price of $0.0776/gallon, it's massively cheaper than Lucas if you can find a source.

The referenced BS150 product is 28-33.5cSt @100C, which is off the chart for SAE J300, which tops out at 26.1cSt for an SAE 60:
1711996852700.jpg

Yes, it's very heavy, which is why it slowed your leak, which is also why it didn't improve your mpg, which is physically impossible by going up in viscosity.

If you want to keep diluting your oil's additive package with heavy bright stock, see if you can find some wholesale, the price is super cheap:

Even at the "high" price of $0.0776/gallon, it's massively cheaper than Lucas if you can find a source.

The referenced BS150 product is 28-33.5cSt @100C, which is off the chart for SAE J300, which tops out at 26.1cSt for an SAE 60:
View attachment 211620
Aside from the problem with basic physics, no one on here could observe and then correlate an MPG change to one isolated variable such as this. It’s far into the noise of everyday driving.

View attachment 211620
I can see how it slowed the leak, oil became more viscous and harder to flow thru the same hole. lol, I didn't use to fix a leak, it was just something I noticed. I mentioned that it did improve my mpg, not that it didn't. I know that stuff is thicker but hey, I saw improvements and kept using it.

I can see how it slowed the leak, oil became more viscous and harder to flow thru the same hole. lol, I didn't use to fix a leak, it was just something I noticed.
Yes, that's why 20W-50 is often used in leakers and burners.
I mentioned that it did improve my mpg, not that it didn't. I know that stuff is thicker but hey, I saw improvements and kept using it.
I know what you said, I'm saying that's not possible. By increasing the viscosity considerably you are increasing the power required to pump the oil, increasing the friction in the bearings and on the cylinder walls and because Lucas contains no additives, you are also diluting the anti-wear and friction modifier elements of the lubricant. These will all have a negative effect on fuel economy, albeit a relatively small one.

I know what you said, I'm saying that's not possible. By increasing the viscosity considerably you are increasing the power required to pump the oil, increasing the friction in the bearings and on the cylinder walls and because Lucas contains no additives, you are also diluting the anti-wear and friction modifier elements of the lubricant. These will all have a negative effect on fuel economy, albeit a relatively small one.

Not saying your wrong, theoretically correct. Back then I didn't knew nothing about oil, I initially/experimentally used it based on advertisement. I just happened to know I was spending less on fuel (I logged all my fill ups). After reading the spec and knowing the viscous and other things, to be honest I wouldn't have used it either if I knew all this prior to using it.

Not saying your wrong, theoretically correct. Back then I didn't knew nothing about oil, I initially/experimentally used it based on advertisement. I just happened to know I was spending less on fuel (I logged all my fill ups). After reading the spec and knowing the viscous and other things, to be honest I wouldn't have used it either if I knew all this prior to using it.
Remember that summer and winter blends of gasoline will yield different fuel economy. So does tire pressure and all manner of other things. Unless your engine had massive amounts of blowby that was slightly improved by the molasses added to the sump, there's no way for it to improve the fuel consumption, only worsen it.

Remember that summer and winter blends of gasoline will yield different fuel economy. So does tire pressure and all manner of other things. Unless your engine had massive amounts of blowby that was slightly improved by the molasses added to the sump, there's no way for it to improve the fuel consumption, only worsen it.
Yep, I know. Both my average winter and summer mpg's increased. I actually started to use other Lucas product as an experiment, and yeah my mpg increased even more over time. At least now I know why the hate, lol. I get it, I can relate the same on a few other things too, 🤣.

Yep, I know. Both my average winter and summer mpg's increased. I actually started to use other Lucas product as an experiment, and yeah my mpg increased even more over time. At least now I know why the hate, lol. I get it, I can relate the same on a few other things too, 🤣.
Observing something is only the first step and is nearly always the easiest part. Ascribing that observation to one or more isolated variables is the more difficult part. Here where you have many uncontrolled variables that affect your observation there is simply no way you were able to make a determination that this one variable was the cause.

Observing something is only the first step and is nearly always the easiest part. Ascribing that observation to one or more isolated variables is the more difficult part. Here where you have many uncontrolled variables that affect your observation there is simply no way you were able to make a determination that this one variable was the cause.
I agree 1000000% it's not easy and all takes decades to be more accurate but this wasn't based one tank full or even a few tank full, more like a few years (prior to using it) and money comparison leaving my bank, lol. Then again it was based one engine.

I agree 1000000% it's not easy and all takes decades to be more accurate but this wasn't based one tank full or even a few tank full, more like a few years (prior to using it) and money comparison leaving my bank, lol. Then again it was based one engine.
It’s also quite likely that the longer you go the more noise there will be. I linked an article a while back that showed even at the same gas station the energy density of the fuel varies around 4%, so the more often you buy fuel the more variation your numbers will show. So is your measured improvement more than 4%? Even if it is then you pile on the other myriad of variables besides fuel BTU. Longer test periods = increased noise = increased difficulty in isolating any one specific variable.

I understand you wish to ascribe your observation to one isolated variable, but it is just flat impossible to do this in everyday driving.

Here are a few more of the considerations and variables:

Last edited:
Many here likely never even heard of A.G. Anyway, found this when looking into the good old STP product that has been around for so long emptying folks pockets:
Andy Granatelli and STP paid the largest consumer fraud fine in history at the time, $660,000 because they were unable to prove that STP did ANYTHING beneficial for an automobile.

Back