Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil VOA

I will start off by saying I asked moderators for their input on where to post this VOA, and they advised the Firearms subforum would be the correct place.

I have no comments on this sample, as I really didn't know what to expect from a gun oil. This product is what I use on my own pistol, and I have been satisfied with the results. I was curious what a VOA would show. Enjoy. 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-190523~4.jpg
    Screenshot_20220303-190523~4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 298
Confusing, I always thought ZDDP was heat activated. I dont understand what it is suppose to do in this application.
Mind you I'm by no means an expert on oil...or anything else for that matter haha...but if you are really putting your gun through it's paces, wouldn't the heat created be enough to activate the zddp? I'm asking because I really don't know. I'm open to any input.

The Zinc/Phosphorus ratio is incorrect for ZDDP. It may still contain ZDDP but is supplemented with another phosphorus compound, likely an ashless anti-wear. Gun lubrication is not very difficult - microseconds of high speed sliding motion, and the oil does not get very hot for very long. Rust and corrosion protection is a higher priority than wear, and these additives are usually ashless and so would not show in the VOA.

Like Tom NJ said 95% of the oil on a gun is for rust protection. If you need sliding protection with a chance of heat use a grease, it will stay put much longer, rotational protection with a worry about dust use light machine oil like they use on sewing machines, every place else rust protection.

Back