Lubsoil Universal Synthetic Trans Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used or have knowledge of Lubsoil Universal Synthetic Transmission fluid? It is apparently made by Tulco.

The reason I am asking is because I am replacing the 4L65e transmission in the 2006 Sierra Denali and the remanufactured transmission LKQ sent me came with 2 gallons of the stuff. I am just leary of using it even though after talking to the Tulco rep he said it was ok to use in my application. I guess LKQ would not provide a poor fluid since the warranty the unit for 3 years/100k miles. I just prefer a straight approved Dexron 6 fluid as required for the transmission.

I am tempted to just use those 2 gallons in my older vehicles and buying Dex6....but beings there is already atleast 4 quarts in the new trans I probably should just use the fluid. I can always run it 10k miles or so and then do a full flush with Dex6.

Just looking for advice/opinions.

Originally Posted by CT8
www.tulco.com/tulco-products/transportation-fluids/link

Thanks, I did see that. It doesn't say Dex6 certified just that it exceeds all make/model specs. I guess I will use it for short interval and flush with pure Dex6.

Just curious what was the failed transmission using? If it was DEX6.... Or is that just my thick oil bias showing
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Just curious what was the failed transmission using? If it was DEX6.... Or is that just my thick oil bias showing
grin2.gif

While it is true that dexron III fluids started out with a higher initial viscosity than the dexron VI fluids, they did not stay that way and within a short period of time would shear to a lower viscosity. dexron VI is more shear stable.

grin2.gif

Lol! Well, it was changed at 30k, 60k, 100k and 140k each time with Castrol Dex6. The trans failed at 159k miles. From what I am told that is good for a 4L65e and figure I did a good bit of towing my RV and car trailers I don't know if the care I gave it even made a difference if the trans has a normal life of 150k. I really was surprised and thought for sure I would get atleast over 200k before problems. I just replaced the transfer case last month for the pump rub condition. The LQ9 6.0L still runs great though!

Originally Posted by kschachn
grin2.gif

While it is true that dexron III fluids started out with a higher initial viscosity than the dexron VI fluids, they did not stay that way and within a short period of time would shear to a lower viscosity. dexron VI is more shear stable.

It depends on the type of Dex III fluids. Full synthetic Dex III's like Mobil 1 ATF, Amsoil ATF, Red LIne D4, etc. hardly shear at all. The semi-synthetics like a Mercon V (which is a beefed up Dex III) shear at a faster rate. And the conventionals like plain old Valvoline or Pennzoil ATF's shear at about 2X the rate of semi-syns. One study done by Dodge a while back had the shear rates of conventional at 40%, semi's at 19% and full syns at 8-13%. Some of the best syns might be as low as 3-5%. You can still do a reasonable OCI on conventional - 15K-20K. For a semi-syn 25K-30K. And full syn at 30K-50K. Those examples would apply to my daily driver which calls for a semi-syn Dex III. No Dex 6 for me, no matter how little it may shear. The hydraulics in the trans calls for the higher viscosity of Dex 3 (6.8-7.5 cSt) and that's what it gets. You can always change the fluid more often to keep viscosity 6.5 or above. Dex 6's live down around 5.8 cSt.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by kschachn
grin2.gif

It depends on the type of Dex III fluids. Full synthetic Dex III's like Mobil 1 ATF, Amsoil ATF, Red LIne D4, etc. hardly shear at all. The semi-synthetics like a Mercon V (which is a beefed up Dex III) shear at a faster rate. And the conventionals like plain old Valvoline or Pennzoil ATF's shear at about 2X the rate of semi-syns. One study done by Dodge a while back had the shear rates of conventional at 40%, semi's at 19% and full syns at 8-13%. Some of the best syns might be as low as 3-5%. You can still do a reasonable OCI on conventional - 15K-20K. For a semi-syn 25K-30K. And full syn at 30K-50K. Those examples would apply to my daily driver which calls for a semi-syn Dex III. No Dex 6 for me, no matter how little it may shear. The hydraulics in the trans calls for the higher viscosity of Dex 3 (6.8-7.5 cSt) and that's what it gets. You can always change the fluid more often to keep viscosity 6.5 or above. Dex 6's live down around 5.8 cSt.

DEX III does not remain in the 6.8 CST range even mobil one. GM did not even fill it with ATF which stayed there nor make it a license requirement.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
I would definately use what they sent. And over 150k is good for the 4l65.

What did it cost you for the reman?

$1400

Originally Posted by dogememe
They really should have put the 4L80E in there

I agree with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back