Lubro Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, oil wizards, now that GC is gone I have to find a suitable replacement.

BAVAUTO.com, in their catalogue carries on so about how good this oil is.

They even had a rating system where BMW's HiPo synthetic oil was rated "good", Redline's synthetic oil was rated "better" and Lubro Moly was rated "best".

Sooo, If you buy BAV's LM in the 4 liter jug, it works out to 6.99 a liter - roughly what GC costs when not on sale.

So, how good is this Lubro Moly? Has anyone used it? How well did it do?

Cheers all! DV

I just switched to L-M 0W40 + 2qts RTS 5W40 as a summer oil in our '01 530i. The engine runs smoother than the ~50:50 mix of GC + M1 0W40 that I had in it before. Oddly that combo used 1qt of oil in less than 8k. This never happened with straight GC.
The car is out of warranty and I'm less worried about using LL-01 oils since I don't go past 10k OCI's anyhow.

http://www.interautopartssd.com/
I get L-M ^here^ since they're local for me. It's about $36 / 5L.
They also stock Mann filter for $5. They even stocked the "Bremi" ignition coil connectors for about $6 each.

Boy, I tell you I must be lucky - the M54 engine in my '02 330ci hasn't used a drop of oil since new.

I have never had to add oil to it ever in 97,000 miles of fairly hard driving. Of course I do my OCI's around 5K miles and that may have something to do with it.

What I'm trying to figure out is, is Lubro Moly a group III / IV / V ? Do you know - does it say anything on the bottle? I have never seen the stuff here in Houston (can't say I've been digging around for it though).

Oh yeah, thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out. Cheers! DV

Their 5w30 is a Group III much like BMW 5w30 AFAIK. Their 0w40/5w40 (purple bottle for 5w40) are full synthetics. The 5w30 is specfically LL-01 approved however in the BMW manual it says you can use a 5w40 also.

Quote:

Boy, I tell you I must be lucky - the M54 engine in my '02 330ci hasn't used a drop of oil since new.

The M52 in my 1998 528 also has never had any noticeable oil consumption. It's used Pennzoil 5W50 (previous owner), M1 0W40 and now GC. OCIs are 3500-5000mi (6 months). It sees it's share of fun running also.

As for Lubro-Moly, I don't know that I would take BavAuto's opinions as fact over BITOG. LM isn't common discussed around here, it will be interesting to see what BITOG opinions surface.

Craig.

I used their 0w40 in my Land Rover for one OCI. The resulting UOA was the best ever for my engine. I didn't stick with it, guess I'm just oil unfaithfull, but it sure seemed to work well. Didn't add any oil on a 6,000 mile run.

love this oil. its all i use in my M44... little engine, i know. but i love it. anyways, i know alot of BMW guys here in toronto who swear by this stuff too. its group 4, so i like that about it too.

i say switch!

does anyone know how well the Lubro Moly 5W40 Voll Synthese or their 10W60 Race GT1 oil would fare in a highly stressed flat tappet engine, running about 295-300lb spring pressure over the nose? Any product specs on these oils, mainly Zn and P levels? Seems to be impossible to find specs on LM

LM makes great products but marketing in NA is poor. If you have a motor that can use products currently in NA you will be happy with them I am sure. I would probably use Top Tec 4200 over any other VW 507.00 oil, if it were available NA.

just go to www.partsquick.com and put the grade in the search window. i.e. 0w40 Free shipping over 50 bucks.
banana.gif

Yeah, you've got to try various methods of searching. But in the end, well worth it!
Some folks were looking for the 0W/30 but seems like they're out of stock. But they also carry Pentosin which is another high quality Euro oil which should make for a good replacement to the Lubromoly.

Quote:

OK, oil wizards, now that GC is gone I have to find a suitable replacement.

BAVAUTO.com, in their catalogue carries on so about how good this oil is.

They even had a rating system where BMW's HiPo synthetic oil was rated "good", Redline's synthetic oil was rated "better" and Lubro Moly was rated "best".

Sooo, If you buy BAV's LM in the 4 liter jug, it works out to 6.99 a liter - roughly what GC costs when not on sale.

So, how good is this Lubro Moly? Has anyone used it? How well did it do?

Cheers all! DV

Hey fellow Oil Wizard... were you too busy morning the loss of your belove GC to notice that the Lubro Moly jugs are actually 5 Liters. So your cost per Liter is actually closer to 5 dollars for most of their quality oils. And since 1 liter = roughly 1.18 quarts.... you are getting a screaming deal with Lubro Moly 0w/5W-40 as compared to "GC"......

I have been using the 5W-40 Vollesynthese and I love it..My cars have never run better.

I found a good deal on LIQUI MOLY SUPER LEICHTLAUF 10W-40 , API SL / CF; ACEA A3-04 / B3-04 and bought a case of 12 quarts.
Spec's are here:
Viscosity class : 10W-40
Density at +15 °C : 0.880 g/cm³ DIN 51757
Viscosity at +40 °C : 91.1 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity at +100 °C : 13.7 mm²/s DIN 51562
Viscosity index : 152 DIN ISO 2909
Flash point : 228 °C DIN ISO 2592
Pour point : - 33 °C DIN ISO 3016
ASTM color number : 2.5 DIN 51578
Ash, sulphate : 1.18 g/100 g DIN 51575

The TBN , DIN ISO 3771 = 9,0 mg KOH/g
HTHS = 4,0 mPas s