Lubro Moly (Made in Germany)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this have been covered before, so here goes:

Stopped in at my local NAPA store, and saw they had a Full Synthetic oil called "Lubro Moly" in both 5 liter and 1 liter bottles. Various weights. I saw that the bottles said "Made In Germany". Went to their website, www.liqui-moly.de then because I don't read German, I clicked on the American Flag within the box that says "Worldwide", and everything came up in English.

Looks like a great oil, but VERY PRICY.
Five Liter Jug is $44.69 plus tax and the
One Liter Bottle is $12.29 plus tax.

I know that the Dollar has gone way down compared to the Euro, and almost worthless since January, so I don't think they will sell very much at that price.

Pretty common oil in Euro parts stores. I'm not sure there is compelling reason to use it unless you need the manufacturers' approvals.

Which product was it.

Last edited:
Those are horrible prices. That makes it not even close to being worth the cost. I used Lubromoly 5W-40 and 0W-40 a few years ago but paid only a little over what Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec cost. Advance Auto was the vendor.

I just saw this stuff at my local napa yesterday as well and was gonna ask about it on here. They had a section with all the lubromoly weights and additives there. They also had some Pentosin additives as well. I used to run the Pentosin synthetic oil in my Passat when I had it. Someone tryed to tell me that was the factory fill for VW stuff that was made in Germany, don't know if that was true or not.

We have it in stock at the Napa I work at. It's been on the shelf for over a year and I don't think we've ever sold any of it. Not surprising, since we charge over $70 for a 5-liter jug.
shocked2.gif

wow, thats outrageous! I think my local napa was getting $36-38 for the 5-liter jug. I think it would sell better if more people were somewhat educated on their european automobiles, but sadly, a majority of them are oblivious to what they or someone else puts in their car.

M1 0W40 is on recommended list of many European automobiles and can easily find at many auto parts stores and Walmart for reasonable cost, such as $22 5-qt jug at WM.

If Lubro Moly can get shelf space at WM or Kragen, PepBoys ... and priced at high $20's to low $30's for 5-liter jug, then they would have buyers.

Napa stores are few and far between, not many drivers go there to buy oil.

Last edited:
In Europe (except Germany) it's often sold at places like your WM.
Compared to M1 or Castrol it's 50% less...

They make a 5W40 that meets VW 505.01 spec. I would use it in the wife's VW TDI if it wasn't so expensive here in the States.

I got clearances at AAP. 5L jugs of 0W-40 for $23.65 (they only had 5). In Roanoke, I got 6 jugs of 10W40 with MoS2 for $.05 each! I mix half 10W-40 and 0W-40 for a winter blend. I'll run the 10W-40 straight for the rest of the year. I wouldn't pay premium prices for this oil over any flavor of M1. It's a quality product, made by a respected company, but it's not so much better IMHO, that I'd pay more for it.

I just bought two 5-liter jugs of Lubro Moly 5w-40 for my Porsche. This stuff is wonderful and, coming in large jugs instead of individual containers like M1, is easier to store and pour. And it's 5w instead of 0w in M1. I track the car and prefer 5w-40. It was about $36 for each 5-liter jug so that's a little less than $7 per quart. Pretty competitive.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I wonder if it's at NAPA stores in Canada? Haven't been to one in a while....

Of all the ones I have been at or phoned, not one had even heard of it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back