Lubro Moly 0W-40 try out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been searching around here for any kind of UOA or anything about Lubro Moly 0W-40. I found some information about their 5W-40, but still nothing on their 0W-40. Well, I changed my filter and put in the 0W-40. My gas mileage went up and the car purrs like a kitten. I was using Amsoil's 5W-40, and it just seemed "too thick" for a new car. Could someone please bend my ear or suggest if a 0W is better then a 5W? I know they are the same at operating temp and all, but I like the idea of an oil circulating faster throughout the engine and the 0W seems to be doing that and at $35 for their 5L bottle, it seems to be great.

At the beginning of August, you posted a VOA where you mixed 3 quarts of 5W-40 Mobil T-SUV with 2 quarts of 0W-30 Mobil 1 SS.

You took that mix out -- put in Amsoil 5W-40 -- then pulled that oil too... all in approximently 1-1/2 months?

Wow... I thought I had the most serious case of Excessive-OCitis.... hopefully they can double your prescription...lol
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

If the engine isnt worned a 0W oil is always better since it flow so much better compared to an 5W during cold start.

I use LM 0W-40 in my SAAB. It has been good. I did notice better fuel economy and slightly increased power when I switched from LM 5W-40. However, engine sounds harsher and oil analysis shows slightly higher wear compared to LM 5W-40. So I reduced my OCI from 10k miles to 8k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by brianpavlovic:
Good job answering my question. It was really informative and right to the point.

===============================================

Earth's oil reserves are dwindling kiddo! Plus... this unnecessary used stuff has to go somewhere for storage, disposal or recycling!

Sorry... but I thought I answered it correctly!

I'm done on this thread.

recycled oil usually gets burnt for fuel, quit changing your oil so much and dont worry about it.

1.8T's are hardy engines and as long as the oil meets the grade and recommendations of VW it'll last.

Triple_Se7en, you say that you personally have a case of "Excessive-OCitis" and then take him to task about wasting resources in your next response. Sorry, I don't get it. Your comments in no way answered anything that was asked. I think that if you want a 40 wt, you should probably stay away from 0Ws and move to 5w or 10w so that you have an opportunity to stay in grade. Nothing wrong with 0w40 if a having a 30w at some point in the OCI is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back