Lubricity additives for diesel (gas?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millco
This is the only thing I have ever seen as far as a test ranking different fuel additives. This is why I quit using MMO in my rigs. If someone knows of a benefit or what it is supposed to do for an engine as an additive; then please post up.
Here is the 'Study' of Different Fuel Additives on Diesel Place
See number 17) for the results on MMO . . . .
HTH,

I found the study looking at how diesel lubrication was effected by various additives that Millco linked in the current MMO thread interesting. I was astonished to see MMO reported to have decreased lubricity. Since diesel, even ULSD, have inherent lubricative properties that exceed gasoline, I suspect MMO would increase lubricity in gasoline but is merely a guess.

From the article, I played a bit with the data. It shows that Opti-Lube Summer Blend provided the most lubricity value increase to diesel fuel for the least amount of additive. I thought others might find interest in the article and the spreadsheet play. I also wonder if any of these additives could be safely used in gasoline engines?

Doug

DieselAdditiveLubricity2.jpg

Reflecting on the data, I researched how the HFRR Lubricity Test is conducted. Essentially, a replaceable ball is subjected to a 200 gram weight and vibrated back and forth rapidly for a stroke distance of 1 millimeter for a set length of time. The amount of time for this study was not noted but the average I found with a bit of googling seemed to be ~1hr. At completion, the ball is studied under a scope and resulting scar results measured.

Southwest Research is the lab that performed this study and is well known and respected. The method described states experiment was performed twice with the reported results averaged. It would be interesting to compare values to note any high variances between the two repeats but unfortunately this data is not given.

This is a field of study outside my area but the reason I would have like to have seen the raw data is I find the ratio of the top three performers mixed with diesel amazing to produce such profound change in lubricity. The top performer, Opti-Lube Summer Blend, used only 1.1 ounce of the additive to 26 gallons of diesel to produce the smallest scar zone at an amazing mix ratio of 1:2998. I wouldn't have believed there would be enough additive to have produced such a profound effect on diesels lubricity.

In any case, I found the study interesting and hope the spreadsheet proves useful to some.

Doug

I am familiar with this study. They are good study and well designed.

On the question whether the additive can be added to Gas?
Diesel Fuel and Gasoline Fuel are two different substance.
So, the diesel additive should not be used in Gasoline or vice versa.

Last edited:
Has anybody here on BITOG tried the Opti-Lube summer blend? There really aren't many threads on here even mentioning it, yet this test looks very interesting. Where is it available?

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Has anybody here on BITOG tried the Opti-Lube summer blend? There really aren't many threads on here even mentioning it, yet this test looks very interesting. Where is it available?

I tried it last year or the year before.

It's online-only I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back