Lubricating CV joint after boot change

The boot of one of the CV joints of my Lancer has been torn next to the clamp that keeps it tight on the CV axle's shaft. I had noticed some staining on the inner fender's surface, but I hadn't paid much attention, since I thought it was something splashed from the road. I think that the staining is there about 1 to 2 months max. Today, I noticed some grease splashed on the bottom of the shock absorber and on the front lower arm and I confirmed that the boot has been torn.

I plan to get the boot replaced with an SKF universal boot that will get installed with a CV boot expander without removing the CV joint from the CV axle.

Since the boot has remained torn for some time and probably the grease has been contaminated I would like to ask 3 questions:
  1. How should the old grease get removed while the CV joint is fitted on the CV axle? Is wiping it and using brake cleaner an adequate method?
  2. How should the new grease put in place? Is it OK to be done with a gloved hand or are any special tools needed?
  3. I don't get any noises or any other symptoms from the CV joint in question. If it has been driven around with contaminated grease for some time, how likely is it to fail in the future, in the absence of any issues - as I said - with it currently?

Well, I got the boot replaced.

The mechanic used a rag to clean the old grease. Then he put some in the CV joint and the rest in the boot. He said that it will spread from the boot when driving. Does that make any sense?

Well, I got the boot replaced.

The mechanic used a rag to clean the old grease. Then he put some in the CV joint and the rest in the boot. He said that it will spread from the boot when driving. Does that make any sense?

Of course. You're not performing a surgery. Wipe the old grease off and smear the new grease on. Done and done. If it were a bearing, then you need to pack it with grease, but a CV joint will spread the grease where it needs to be while driving.

Of course. You're not performing a surgery. Wipe the old grease off and smear the new grease on. Done and done. If it were a bearing, then you need to pack it with grease, but a CV joint will spread the grease where it needs to be while driving.
I'm asking because I'm reading (and watching on video) conflicting information online. For example in this video the grease is distributed evenly in the CV joint:

In other videos I have seen people using their fingers to distribute the grease evenly in the CV joint.

I have also read it is OK to put the grease in the boot.

If dirt got in then it needs cleaned out, thoroughly. I like gasoline bath, cheap and readily available. I use the same old gas I clean other parts with, strain when it gets nasty (old t-shirt or whatever).

If not dirty, wipe excess off, pack some in with your hands, put the rest in the boot. It doesn't need to be perfectly distributed in the boot, will work its way around in use.

If dirt got in then it needs cleaned out, thoroughly. I like gasoline bath, cheap and readily available. I use the same old gas I clean other parts with, strain when it gets nasty (old t-shirt or whatever).

If not dirty, wipe excess off, pack some in with your hands, put the rest in the boot. It doesn't need to be perfectly distributed in the boot, will work its way around in use.
I have watched a couple of videos in which the grease was evenly distributed around the CV joint and I wonder how critical this is. I guess it isn't.

Does the grease in the boot end in the CV joint too when driving?

You pack the joint, all it will hold, then the rest in the boot (do not pack it completely full, remember that it compresses) just takes up space so that there's less empty space for the grease in the joint to be flung out, without it staying in contact with the joint.

You pack the joint, all it will hold, then the rest in the boot (do not pack it completely full, remember that it compresses) just takes up space so that there's less empty space for the grease in the joint to be flung out, without it staying in contact with the joint.

The SKF kit comes with a sachet of 80 grams of grease. Not much is left for the boot. Much more would be needed if the logic is too fill the boot enough, in order to prevent the grease leaving the joint.

Back