Early ball joint boot failure

Are you having problems with the newer style boost they've been using over the past probably decade? The old stuff some the 90's always had boot failures for me but I'm a couple years in on my F150 front end rebuild with Moog PS and so far so good.

Are you having problems with the newer style boost they've been using over the past probably decade? The old stuff some the 90's always had boot failures for me but I'm a couple years in on my F150 front end rebuild with Moog PS and so far so good.
After about 3 years the boots are all split open. Happened on the oem set, happened with the Moog set too. I'm surprised I make it to 100k when half that time had compromised boots. Imagine how long it would last if I good boots?

I did my Moog Ball Joints 2 years ago on my F150 and they still look very good. It is the new design with the minimal boot. I don't drive it much, time for grease probably.

I installed a pair of the Moog BJs with the minimal/hidden boot about 6 years ago. Still seem to be holding up fine, no noticeable grease loss or signs of BJ wear, though if there were a tiny tear at the bottom of the boot, I wouldn't be able to see it...

I did have some come out the top of the boot the last time I lubed them, just means they were full and makes me think there wouldn't be any cracks elsewhere or else the grease would have leaked out there (path of least resistance) rather than the recessed boot valve area at the top.

Last edited:
I installed a pair of the Moog BJs with the minimal/hidden boot about 6 years ago. Still seem to be holding up fine, no noticeable grease loss or signs of BJ wear, though if there were a tiny tear at the bottom of the boot, I wouldn't be able to see it...

I did have some come out the top of the boot the last time I lubed them, just means they were full and makes me think there wouldn't be any cracks elsewhere or else the grease would have leaked out there (path of least resistance) rather than the recessed boot valve area at the top.
The manager here in advance auto said they sell a ton of them and rarely see any warranty issues. Then again by the time a vehicle needs that, they are probably closer to the junk yard 🤣

The manager here in advance auto said they sell a ton of them and rarely see any warranty issues. Then again by the time a vehicle needs that, they are probably closer to the junk yard 🤣
People get a new vehicle every 3 or 4 years typically

Careful how you generalize. The average age of US vehicles is now almost 13 years, so for example, for every 1X, 3 year old vehicle, there would have to be 5X, 15 year old vehicles for it to average out to 13 yrs.
I've always wondered how they come up with that. Most every vehicle insee on the road is newer than my 07 dodge

^ Probably a combination of three factors.

1) Older vehicles don't tend to get driven as often.

2) Your '07 dodge is now over 13 years old so you contribute to that average

3) All vehicles look the same now, have for quite a while, so harder to guess how old they are if kept in reasonable condition.. Sad really, bring back tail fins! lol

Back