LubeGard Red vs. Platinum diff.? (after Auto-Rx)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

Well... this Auto-Rx stuff is kinda fun!

I previously did the Auto-Rx process in my well used 3.8L V6 and just completed the process (a bit over 1500 mi.) in the tranny. As my shop indicated that they had "gone back to Rotella" after using a different brand of ATF for awhile in their standard tranny flush services, I got to thinking whether the LubeGard Red I had them add was the best version for the ATF they have apparently settled on. (It's a tranny exclusive shop and they said that the "other juice" tended to lose it's red character early and prompted customer calls inside the standard service interval - for whatever that may be worth.)

But in any event, my question is... in a practical sense, does LG Platinum have any significant utility over the Red? And would I be well advised to consider using it at the next service?

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Lubegard is great.

Based on what scientific evidence?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Lubegard is great.

Based on what scientific evidence?

Driveability.

I've owned my GP since new. I've run the OEM fluid when new, switched to Mobil 1 ATF 30k & 60k pan drops. At the 90k pan drop I changed to Dex VI. It has always shifte well and still does. Why would I want to use an additive? Using the best avaialable (at the time) licensed and OEM recommended fluids has worked very well for me. I did a UOA on the fluid at 90k and Blackstone said it looked pretty good.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1228387

My previous GP was a '94 model. I gave it away with 212k miles on it with 30k pan drops of Dex III fluid. Trans still shifted like new. I never used additives in it either.

Good ATF has every additive it needs and nothing it doesn't. Buy Dexron VI or and Amsoil product and use it without anything added.

I'm sensing that a snow drift is developing...

My present situation is this: I don't have a garage, the weather is foul, there is no drain plug on my pan, my Auto-Rx cleanse is complete and I needed to get a flush performed. My tranny service shop has a specific fluid they use and due to cost pressures I can't seriously pursue the VI options at present. So... I felt that I could instead reach for an interim solution by augmenting the standard ATF with LG.

Sure, I trust that the high-end fluids are likely a superior solution as most of you are saying here - but I have yet to see evidence of LG caused problems with mere regular Dex III ATF, despite the expressed urge to pursue the "best" for the sake of it.

Have I missed something, or perhaps shot a hole in my foot? ;~)

Last edited:
Lubegard does what it promises. If you just want to purchase a readily available fluid, use it. If you choose a high end synthetic ATF leave it out of the equation. I have never used the platinum product, but have had very good results with the RED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back