10R80 / Lubegard Platinum / Mercon ULV

I'm a user of the LG red in my two Honda vehicles and was curious the other night and sent off an email to LG asking what they recommended for the 10R80 and Mercon ULV. For the curious, answer below:

I don't necessarily understand how it can be a FM and not end up with too much FM in the fluid if you use it, but that's their official answer, so

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

--------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Feb 25, 2021, 13:09
Subject: RE: Sidebar Form - Lubegard Website

Thank you for contacting us!

Lubegard Platinum #63010 would be the best product to use with Mercon ULV ATF. You could use the Red, but the Platinum has newer technology and provides the best anti-wear protection.

Please let me know if I can do anything else.

Best regards,
E. Haviland
Stellar Automotive Group | International Lubricants Inc.
Seattle, WA
Toll Free: (800) 333-5823

It's more as if when you are selling products you need to find at least one for every application. If they say a particular application doesn't need anything then no sale is made.

Pretty much a problem with all additive companies.

@MolaKule recommends the red, I have used the silver LG platinum with no issues in a ZF 6 speed at full recommended dosage. I don't run a ZF 6 only ATF though. The ATF I use is recommended for a lot of transmissions including the ZF.

I'm a user of the LG red in my two Honda vehicles and was curious the other night and sent off an email to LG asking what they recommended for the 10R80 and Mercon ULV. For the curious, answer below:

I don't necessarily understand how it can be a FM and not end up with too much FM in the fluid if you use it, but that's their official answer, so

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

--------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Feb 25, 2021, 13:09
Subject: RE: Sidebar Form - Lubegard Website

Thank you for contacting us!

Lubegard Platinum #63010 would be the best product to use with Mercon ULV ATF. You could use the Red, but the Platinum has newer technology and provides the best anti-wear protection.

Please let me know if I can do anything else.

Best regards,
E. Haviland
Stellar Automotive Group | International Lubricants Inc.
Seattle, WA
Toll Free: (800) 333-5823
Most techs at these companies will recommend whatever they think you want and will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to make a sale.

While Platinum has the some of the same LXE esters as does the Red, the Platinum has additional friction modifiers that will modify the dynamic friction coefficients of the host ATF.

You don't want to modify the dynamic friction coefficients of the host ATF.

Back