Lubegard PSF protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to thank this forum for making me aware of Lubegard power steering fluid protectant.

I was handed down my stepfather's 1999 Malibu LS last November, with 160K miles on it.

Stepfather was pretty religious about taking it to the Chevy dealer for the suggested service intervals. I have a folder with every receipt, estimate, and service order from the life of the vehicle. That kind of owner.

Anyway, she was throwing a camshaft sensor out of range code about every other drive and lighting up the Check Engine light, so I went down to Pick-N-Pull and harvested a camshaft sensor from a recently rebuilt and then wrecked Lumina (same 3.1L V6). Since on these you must remove the power steering pump to get at the camshaft sensor, and the Lumina had a very pristine-looking pump, I took that, too, in case my 12-year-old power steering pump needed replacement.

Good thing, because when I pulled the old pump, the fluid in the reservoir looked like black coffee. Really dark, but no burn smell. The fluid in the wrecking yard pump looked brand new.

After swapping in the new pump, I did a couple of quarts worth of turkey baster transfusions and got the color of the fluid up to the point where I could see light through it.

Read on this site about the Lubegard, and it sounded like the right idea for a power steering system in need of rehab.

It's hard to find in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I found it at the CarQuest on Gilman Street in Berkeley. A business partner of mine lives near there so I had him snag a 4oz. bottle for me on his way over.

Followed the instructions and bastered out 4oz. of my plain ps fluid, and replaced it with the Lubegard.

I took the car out and did U-turns at the end of the cul-de-sac, and drove it around for a couple of miles.

When I was backing the car into my driveway, I noticed that I could not hear the power steering system at all, and it used to be that with the windows rolled down, you could definitely hear the pump when you turned the wheel. Not loud or defective sounding, but your basic power steering pump in operation.

Now it's totally inaudible under the sound of the engine, and when I turn the wheel all the way to one stop or another, I don't hear the usual sound of torment.

I was very skeptical of the stuff, as I am all fluid additives, and I was kind of just trying it for the fun of checking out something new, but man, this stuff really does something. If quieter is better, and with pumps it usually is, then this stuff is really good for my power steering system.

I see that the description claims that it converts the fluid to honda power steering fluid, is that a good or a bad thing?

Thanks for the report.

Another poster asked if the PS additive converts Honda PS fluid. I have an '07 Accord with 72k, so if the Lubegard is a plus and no harm to a Honda, I may well use it. I plan to keep the car indefinitely (already have Redline D4 fluid in the trans and love it).

Their LG Red ATF additive is very good, too--took a clunky Ford A4LD trans and really improved it, even after I had done a full flush with Mobil 1 ATF. You may want to consider the LG Red for the trans too. Your AT isn't known for problems that I am aware of, but what the hey....

Originally Posted By: mikered30
I see that the description claims that it converts the fluid to honda power steering fluid, is that a good or a bad thing?

Yes, this is a good thing. I have had Honda's and GM's. I have used Honda PSF in GM P/S units to cure the whine or what is also known as "morning sickness". Works great!

This LubeGard Power Steering Fluid Protectant is to be used in addation to any P/S fluid(not all by itself). For that, use just Honda P/S fluid or equivolent from other mfg's such as Bardahl, CarQuest, ACCEL etc. And yes, in my experience, I have used Honda P/S fluid in GM vehicles. The true Honda PSF from the dealer is supposed to be the best but, IDK!

IDK of any other P/S fluid that is supposed to be as good as Honda's own but, again, IDK! It's in the additives I guess and it works well for any P/S unit that I, (repeat, I) have put it in including Mazda, Nissan and Toyota(requiring Dexron ATF).

Originally Posted By: eagle23

Their LG Red ATF additive is very good, too--took a clunky Ford A4LD trans and really improved it, even after I had done a full flush with Mobil 1 ATF. You may want to consider the LG Red for the trans too. Your AT isn't known for problems that I am aware of, but what the hey....

I fully intend to do this when I have the ATF flushed and refilled.

Heck, my power steering wasn't having what I would call "problems," but it sure seems to work better now.

I see they have two different ATF protectants, the red and the Platinum. The ad copy for the Platinum says it does everything that the red does, but I wonder what the difference is.

Originally Posted By: Euthymia
Originally Posted By: eagle23

I fully intend to do this when I have the ATF flushed and refilled.

Heck, my power steering wasn't having what I would call "problems," but it sure seems to work better now.

I see they have two different ATF protectants, the red and the Platinum. The ad copy for the Platinum says it does everything that the red does, but I wonder what the difference is.

I've called Lubegard tech and they told me to save a few bucks and go for red. Said platinum will work the same but was created for shops wanting to carry fewer products. It is also good for converting fluids so I would guess it could replace the need to stock red/black.

Supposively a more universal fluid, but the one size fits all makes me nervous. Of course, I did a pan drop of the FF @ 105k and used the platinum and it seems fine. Just planning on doing another full flush to get all the original fluid out and toswitch to Mobil 1 ATF.

I'm planning on using Lubegard flush too. Anyone else used it?

Last edited:
^I wanted to, but no longer have the automatic in question which I added LG red to. I have been pleased with LG so far overall.

You could always read up on the other threads about using the return line to the transmission from the radiator, catching the old coolant, while trying to remove as much of the old as possible. While you do this, you add back the amount that was lost with new fluid at the dipstick(+ a bottle of LG red afterward). You do it that way you so as not to let the level of ATF drop critically low while in operation, even at idle, since the return cooler line method has the vehicle running while the transmission pump pushes the ATF by the radiator to cool the fluid inside the transmission.

LG claims it's safe to leave their flush in even if only doing a pan drop/fluid replacement, FWIW.

On topic, no experience with their PSF additive.

Last edited:
I contacted Lubegard directly; here is the correspondence for anyone interested:

"I read that the product converts regular PSF to Honda fluid.

I have a 2007 Accord that obviously already uses Honda fluid. Can I add the Lubegard product, or is that duplicating something?

No problems at 72k with the unit; I just plan to keep the car a very long time.

I have already drained/flushed the Honda ATF to Redline D4, though I didn't add LG Red. Any thoughts on that?

Their Reply:

Lubegard Power Steering Fluid Protectant is fully compatible with Honda PS Fluid. You can also add the ATF Protectant to your transmission that is filled with a full synthetic. Lubegard products are fully compatible with synthetic fluids and are still beneficial by providing additional heat protection and ant-wear benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back