'Lube Job' on 'Modern Marvels' on The History Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday night at 9:00 pm EDST on The History Channel is an episode of Modern Marvels called Lube Job which is described as follows:"From chariot wheels of ancient Egypt to hard disks in a computer to the wheels on a Mars rover, machinery can't function without lubricants. And in today's technology, there are a mind-boggling number of friction points that must be lubed, and a staggering number of lubricants-- petroleum motor oils that keep car engines from burning up, synthetic greases that stay put in the zero gravity of space, and solid coatings that prevent eggs from sticking to a pan. We'll see how this marvel of chemistry works and how it's used. Peering into the future, we'll behold a power generator that employs air as a lubricant, trains using magnetic levitation, which eliminates any need for lubrication, and bio-engineered vegetable oils that promise to take humanity back to one of its very first lubricants. From helping medieval windmills spin, to allowing robotic arms on planetary rovers to move, lubricants are crucial to the advance of technology and literally keep the wheels of progress turning."

I just saw about 3/4 of it and it was great. If BITOG had its own TV show, it would look like the modern marvels show. I thought that it was very easy to understand.

Interesting how AMSOIL started with a fighter pilot who experimented with jet engine synthetics in his personal car.

It's worth a look. Catch it if you can.

anyone else think it was cool that they never change the oil in jet engines, just top it off, and that wind turbine's oil lasts 6 years. That's a nice OCI!!!

Cool too the air "lubricated turbines by Calpine.
I knew of the wind turbines oci as it takes a 5 year test to get one's oil in their app.
How bout the nasa greases range of temps.
wish they would have gone more into everyday apps. Although the show is Modern Marvels.

I have a friend that worked for NASA and has a small tube of that fancy space grease. He says it is like $700 an ounce (and I asked why he stole it, dummy).
The air lubrication is pretty cool too. I just wonder how far reaching the technology would be?

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
He says it is like $700 an ounce

That must be some REAL good ****
grin.gif

I don't think it is so much how good a lube it is, as it is the temp extremes and it's ability to adhere to what it is applied to.
It probably is no better at lubrication than many other quality greases out there, but it can survive in space.

I guess the guy meant multi-viscosity thickens at hi temps and thins at low temps to be relative to single weight oils. Kind of a gaff for a pro...I caught it though.

A guy on the "Lube Job" show wrongly described how multi-viscotiy oil works. Said it thickens at high temps and thins at low temps. He also said the prupose of a multi-viscosity oil and VII is to allow oil to "change" viscosity. Don't you want it to maintain as close a viscosity as possible to the operating temp viscosity throughout any temperature range, ideally? IE. you DON'T want it to change viscosity (thicken at cold temps). Oh well, good show non-the less. Amsoil was all over that show!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Drew - AJ - who was the guy that said that?

I think it was a chemist for an oil company. In all fairness, he was following the logic of xxW-xx; ie. they don't label a 10w-30 30w-10. I think he also gave the other jem; a 10w-30 acts like a 10 weight at cold temps and a 30 weight at operating temps. Going into detail about how xW is a completely different measure than kinematic viscosity would have produced the image of a cow grazing in most people's heads and they woulda gone right back to watching Who Wants to be a Hilton!

10w-30 acts like a 10 weight at cold temps and a 30 weight at operating temps

My mechanic even knew better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back