Lube for an electric motor (well pump)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

My plumber asked an innocent question of me while doing some basement work: "Do you ever lube this motor?" I could not believe I had overlooked the poor thing, but my deep-well jet pump motor has been ignored for over 20-years. Yep... all I had to do was look for it and I would have found an oil port on the rear of it. Duh... and I never used it.

Well, I added a bit of house lube to it, but will now ask y'all what "should" be used?

LOL, high horsepower?

Some motors get grease, perhaps a 00 though.

The 3 in 1 for motors is probably an optimal choice.

Don't use 3 in 1 oil on an electric motor. The detergents in it can attack the motor winding.

Stop by a heating and air conditioning supply house and get a plastic oilier with non-detergents for electric motors. Only costs a few bucks. More is not better either when oiling it.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Don't use 3 in 1 oil on an electric motor. The detergents in it can attack the motor winding.

Stop by a heating and air conditioning supply house and get a plastic oilier with non-detergents for electric motors. Only costs a few bucks. More is not better either when oiling it.

I wonder where you heard/got that idea from RE: 3-in-1 electric motor oil has detergents in it that would attack motor windings...

Q.

Normal 3-in-1 isn't a very high quality lube, even though its non-detergent. Their 'Electric Motor Oil' (blue label instead of red) is much better stuff.

There are numerous electric motor oils around, the "zoom spout" isn't sold under that name anymore, but the same oil and dispenser can be found at sewing machine stores. Some info here:

http://www.fancollectors.org/info/Lubrication.htm

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Normal 3-in-1 isn't a very high quality lube, even though its non-detergent. Their 'Electric Motor Oil' (blue label instead of red) is much better stuff.

Based upon what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back