Lube Control Oil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Zinc and Phosphorus in Lube Control Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate? I.e., the same compound used in just about every motor oil out there?

lobo, I am not sure what you mean by that. Surely you don't mean LC is just boosting common motor oil adds to get it's antioxidant effect? That's not what has been stated by those who tested it, and it's nearly impossible if you think about it. In a 5qt system (160oz.), 5oz initial LC is about 3% of the volume, therefore will only boost the zinc for example by about 7 ppm. Over a 10k mile drain you may have 18 more oz added, 23 tot. or 15%. Increasing zinc by 37ppm. Surely they are in there for some other reason. What that is I don't know.

On the Lube Control site LC20 is recommended for unsticking rings, and based on the claims and test results that it dissolves carbon as well as sludge it seems like I should get LC20 instead of AutoRx.

quote:

LC seems to be an oil additive that can remove varnish and allow oil to be used for longer periods, but it doesn't seem to be recommended in place of AutoRx for unsticking rings and removing sludge.

It depends on how you use it, and keep in mind, there are two different chemistries involved.

If you do a slow MolaSoke (manual process - search for "MolaSoke") with LC in the cylinders and spark plugs removed, it will clean the ring packs and remove carbon from the piston and CC.

If you don't like turning the crank by hand and waiting about 8 hrs, then ARX is your choice for an in situ cleaning while driving.

Oops notsure what I wrote there, trying to type too fast. Putting LC in with a lower concentration would dilute the additives slightly. Either way, that is not where the antioxidant effect is from.

I wander what would you guys have comment only with the analysis if LC was not the supporter of this board. You think it would have been snake oil?

quote:

Originally posted by znamya:
I wander what would you guys have comment only with the analysis if LC was not the supporter of this board. You think it would have been snake oil?

UOAs are tough to read, I think it would take a few good ones before I would draw the line. I think Lube Control's popularity here has more to do with expert recomendation(Terry and Molekule) then their sponsorship.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by znamya:

It is not a stand alone lube.. it is what it does when used in the oil. If you compazre UOA's of the same vehicles with and w/out LC you can clearly see it makes a ddiffernce in Oxidation, therefore insolubles and viscosity stay in check with less insolubles TBN is not depletedas quickly.

Here is recent example. Compare

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
How can this LC even work if it burns off leaving deposits?
First, LC is not designed to be used as a primary lubricant, but rather as a cleaner and an antioxidant, so the flashpoint is somewhat immaterial. The ratio of LC to oil is so low your oil won't thin at all.

Special components breakdown and solve the carbon particles and break apart the sludge polymers, breaking the particles further and further as time progresses, preventing sludge and oxidation. The carbon and crud is them suspended in the oil or captured by the filter. After this action takes place, these special solving components evaporate leaving behind solvated microscopic carbon and broken up sludge polymers.

While this post is 5+ years old, I appreciate the detailed explanation, yet understandable in layman's terms. It's totally applicable to today's LC20.

cheers3.gif

Quote:
Is the Zinc and Phosphorus in Lube Control Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate? I.e., the same compound used in just about every motor oil out there?

Yes.

What are the leading killers of long engine life and seals?? Carbon deposits,sludge and varish. So if you can unsip oxidized VII's to free them from the engine and can break down carbon deposits then what else is needed. I mean everyone tries to make LC out to be simply a maintence item. It works well as a maintence itel to keep an engine clean but can easil be used to clean out sludge. I have tried Auto-RX more then once and Lube COntrol more then once and I think LC is far more flexiable.

The main problem I see with LC is that the direction where changed due to research Terry had on going at the time. In clean modern engines running modern oils farless was needed. When the dosing was lowered they changed it on the LC bottles and I think that these new weaker dosing guidlines kind of take the legs out from under the product. Few people experiment and they have no idea not only how safe it is to double or tripple the dosing but how well it cleans a really dirty engine. I do not think they kept the 16 once flush procedure on the label either.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
What are the leading killers of long engine life and seals?? Carbon deposits,sludge and varish.

Any more info on how carbon deposits and varnish will degrade seals and kill engine life?

Very good artcle, thanks. I was just looking at FP60 and LC20 which raised a question in my mind. Do you think these supplements are advisable for a well maintaned engine running synthetic and seeing occasional Redline SL1 fuel system cleaner. I don't mind paying for maintenance if there is something tangible to be gained.

Thanks,

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back