The flash point seems really low
shocked.gif
and it's not even a 20w oil
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
at 212f!

Must have some magic ingredients
rolleyes.gif

BTW,thanks for the VOA,I knew I wasn't the only one curious to see one on it.

Good to see that it has some AW additives in addition to the solvents it smells like it has. Thanks for posting the VOA!

--Matt

About time someone posted this.

Seems pretty clean at least. So I guess we can speculate that is has a little ZDDP, not sure on the Boron. Definitely not a traditional add package.

-T

this must burn off and not even be in the oil after 1k miles with such a low, low flash point.
Even the cooling system of most vehicles runs at 200F.
How can this LC even work if it burns off leaving deposits?

I believe Molekule has posted that at least one component does burn off, but some does stay in the oil. Could that one component be responsible for the flash point.

-T

I was just thinking on the low flash point. It might be the reason they (Lube Control) wants you to add 6 ounces every 1,000 miles. mikeyoilnutt

quote:

How can this LC even work if it burns off leaving deposits?

First, LC is not designed to be used as a primary lubricant, but rather as a cleaner and an antioxidant, so the flashpoint is somewhat immaterial. The ratio of LC to oil is so low your oil won't thin at all.

Special components breakdown and solve the carbon particles and break apart the sludge polymers, breaking the particles further and further as time progresses, preventing sludge and oxidation. The carbon and crud is them suspended in the oil or captured by the filter. After this action takes place, these special solving components evaporate leaving behind solvated microscopic carbon and broken up sludge polymers.

This test is close to our VOA testing except that flash is much lower than the lab tests Mola did for us. Consistant independent labs including Mola's work have shown LC to flash in the 400 F range. Mola correct me on that if needed as I don't have all the data in front of me.

As Mola correctly states, and keep in mind as you study this info ,that LC is not a stand alone product and is by design is consumed in use.

I have posted our test here at BITOG but seems we reinvent the wheel every few cycles so I will add it here for comparison. Testing performed in 2002.

if a subtance is not listed it is 0

sn 19
zn 280
p252
ca 27
TBN 1
vis 6.6 cSt

we did not test for B.

LPD ISO code 18/15

This works and is very inexpensive compared to Rislone. LC is a strong lubricous anti- oxidant and is not a replacement for motor oil.

Rislone is more STP like with an add pack.

Knowing to a degree what is in each formula Rislone is a waste money.

I don't see drops in oxidation, nitration,insolubles using Rislone as an add like I do with LC and FP. If I did I would recommed Rislone's use to my customers.

Lots of folks post and hoot here but they don't back it up with testing normally.

TD

Regarding Flash Point:

They may be using a Cleaveland Open Cup test with different amounts of fluid and a different heat source than what I used. The fluid film on the COC is spread over a larger area, hence it may flash sooner, since the vapor pressure above the cup may have been higher and the vapor may have been more enriched (more saturation).

I used 5 mL (I believe) in a test tube with a calibrated thermometer bathed in the fluid and a LPG gas torch in a darkend part of the lab to observe the onset of flash, since that was what we on hand to do the flash test. This was backed up by an IR thermometer using droplets of the fluids in question and pouring them on a hot manifold whose temperature was known.

I tested three fluids, at the time; Neutra, FP, and LC. As I recall, Neutra had the lowest flash point, which was expected.

I do recall the FP had a lower Flash Point than the LC.

I was thinking the oil we tested had a viscosity more like 8.5 cSt.

Maybe Odis has changed a few things since the test two years ago.

There has been comments on LC new/old batches smelling different.One posted it smelled just like acetone.

Just gauging from other Blackstone VOA's they are using the Cleveland Open Cup method for testing flash point . Their numbers mirror actual manufacturers data sheet values .

This method generally shows a much higher value than the Pensky-Martens method .

An example would be the same oil tested with the Cleveland Open Cup method and a 464F number was arrived at will produce 392F using the Pensky-Marten method .

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
This works and is very inexpensive compared to Rislone.

Inexpensive? I don't know how well Rislone does or does not work, but it's less than $2.50/quart. LC is over $10 + shipping. LC might work better than rislone, but it's certainly not inexpensive.

I emailed the LubeControl.com service department to see if there have been any formulation changes in the last few years that would be responsible for such a drop in the flash point but I'm still waiting for a response.......................

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
This works and is very inexpensive compared to Rislone.

Inexpensive? I don't know how well Rislone does or does not work, but it's less than $2.50/quart. LC is over $10 + shipping. LC might work better than rislone, but it's certainly not inexpensive.

If you look at the treatment rates, LC is still cheaper. You only use 1 oz. of Lube Control per 1000 miles so even with a 5000 mile OCI that would be 5 oz., appoximately $1.56. I believe rislone recomends a whole quart at $2.50.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back