LT1 Reverse Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kernel Potter
Here's a different perspective on the LT1s reverse flow cooling by Hib Halverson. Isn't he a big wig Chevy engineer?.

Hardly, he's a 2nd rate journalist that does know a lot about Corvettes.

He doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, but there's no shame in that, no one knows as much as Halverson thinks he does.
LOL.gif

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49957

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Kernel Potter
Here's a different perspective on the LT1s reverse flow cooling by Hib Halverson. Isn't he a big wig Chevy engineer?.

Hardly, he's a 2nd rate journalist that does know a lot about Corvettes.

He doesn't know as much as he thinks he does, but there's no shame in that, no one knows as much as Halverson thinks he does.
LOL.gif

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49957

Reading articles in the past,I was under the impression that he was but no big deal. I actually think reverse cooling is really cool(pun intended) but it appears that it has its difficulties and in a clean sheet design its benefits aren't necessary.
Either way I appreciate the timely reply.

IIRC, back when the LT1 was introduced(1991) with its reverse cooling, Chevrolet was touting the 10.xx:1+ compressions ratios. Ratios mostly not seen since the days of leaded premium gasoline. The reverse cooling being a large factor for this.

Obviously now, GM and other have even higher compression ratios on clean sheet designs without reverse cooling.

yeah the ability to run 10:1 on 87 (on my cast headed LT1) is nice. Even nicer is the ability in built motors to run well in the 11s range for compression on 93 :) Of course LSX and newer offerings can accomplish that without RC, but before the LT1, running that kind of compression in most SBC was unheard of. Some old mechanics still call [censored] on my car having 10:1 and running 93.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back