LT options - 2013 Silverado 3500 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my vehicle plans look like they are about to be abruptly changed on me, which will in turn impact my tire decision.

Before this week, the plan for my vehicles was that my wife uses the Tiguan as her daily driver most of the time, and that the Sienna is on back up duty for running the family around, and is used mostly by myself. Weekday use is limited, as I take transit in to work. The Silverado is primarliy used for any heavy hauling, 99% of that being to tow our fifth wheel. Which means it sits dormant for the winter. The Tiguan has good rubber for winter and summer (2 sets), the Sienna has good rubber for winter, and would need new rubber for summer (2 sets), and the Silverado has the set it came with when we bought it, and pretty much reached the point of needing replacement just before it went into winter storage.

While the Sienna was parked this week, a driver of a welding rig had a medical emergency, lost control, and crashed into a number of parked vehicles, my van being one of them. While the damage looks minimal, the front passenger wheel is bent in (possible frame damage?), plus it is a 2006, meaning it won't take much in damage for insurance to write it off. It is with insurance estimators now, and will be only a matter of days when I will most likely find out it is a total loss.

I think I am leaning to not replacing the Sienna with something. This means pulling the Silverado into back up duty for running kids around (though likely more limited than I did with the Sienna, given that it is a pretty big beast to be a daily driver).

Having real and severe winter here means that my intentions to replace the Silverado's tires with Cooper Discoverer AT/3, and only have the one set for the truck year round, may not be the best choice.

I am looking to hear from those who run LT tires year round, through real winter conditions, and find what your experiences and recommendations are. Should I look at "all weather" tires? My concerns are good ice and snow traction in the winter, and having decent summer capabilities. Primarily on road, very limited off road, enough that it isn't a real consideration.

Thoughts on one set that will fit the bill, and also not break the bank?

I have Cooper Discover ATW's in a 265 70 17 LT. They are great as snow tires and I'm planning on taking them off in the spring. I believe they are a softer compound than the AT3. However I did use my last set of Discoverer ATW's as a year round tire and wore them out in 4 years. Trouble is they wear down and it makes them less desirable as a snow tire the subsequent years. I'm planning on getting highway LT tires such as the Michelin Defender for the summer. All terrains don't fit the bill for me for that purpose but may do for you. ATW for winter. AT3 for the other three seasons. Or you might want to try the AT3 year all year round because it's a All Terrain Tire.
Here is the tread on the ATW.

331DA327-47AA-4F78-A9C3-090BD877D8A8.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the Michelin LTX M/S for a year round tire, but the BFG all terrian KO is also a good all round tire, probably a better bias to winter use. The Cooper AT/3 will be good until it wears about 50% then they seem to go hard. We run them on our work trucks and that seems to be the way they go. I would pick the BFG's for your conditions and the price point.

I've had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2s on my Ram 3500 SRW (LT285/70R17E) for a few years now, and they've never let me down, even in ice storms. Not sure if they're still available now, they've been replaced by the Revo 3. The Cooper, Mastercraft, & even Michelin sets I've had weren't nearly as good, neither in snow nor longevity. Is the Silverado a dually or 4X4?

I'll assume you have the stock 265/70/18s on your 2013 3500 LML. At work, we up-size one step to 275/70/18 without rubbing. Winter traction, handling and tire life is improved.
If cost is not an issue, buy tires with a 3-ply sidewall.
Extreme conditions? last night for example, I got an ASAP call to drive from rural BC interior to Hinton, Alberta. Blue River to Valemont, BC was the worst with whiteout conditions.
I used my own truck this time, which is a 2011 2500 XC LML. The tires; 275/65/20 studded Hankook RW-11s. (I would buy those again)
The work truck we leave at Hinton; 265/70/17 Toyo CT.
My daughter's 2018 3500 L5P, 275/65/20 (on my extra wheels) Nitto EXO.
My son's 2013 1500 5.3L SLT 275/60/20 studded Nitto EXO. He's a helli ski guide and pulls his trailer over mountain passes all winter Whistler to Golden and sometimes to Terrace, BC.
One 3500 Ram passed me last night, then stopped at the Valemont Petro-Can had 275/75/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Not exactly a winter/ice tire, he had far more weight than me with 2 sleds on a deck.
The trucks with the stock all season tires are the ones in the ditch.

Last edited:
The GY DuraTracs I had on my Colorado were great year round. Exceptional in rain and snow.

Just get a dedicated set of winter tires. You can always find someone selling off a new or fairly new OEM set of wheels and tires. Use that OEM setup for the above freezing portion of the year. Then use the wheels you have now with the dedicated winter tire setup when it starts to get cold and slippery out.

Assuming you are going to get a total loss on your Sienna.. (not sure about Canadas laws).. if it were me here in the US..i would take the check and buy it back..fix the bent wheel and possibly a few suspension parts. That is if you like the Sienna..

Originally Posted by HighbrowHillbill
Just get a dedicated set of winter tires. You can always find someone selling off a new or fairly new OEM set of wheels and tires. Use that OEM setup for the above freezing portion of the year. Then use the wheels you have now with the dedicated winter tire setup when it starts to get cold and slippery out.

That gets expensive on a 3500 with 10 plys, and even more for 6 if it's a dually. I have 10 ply studded BFG Traction A/Ts on the back of the GMC C3500 in my sig, and even at LT245/75R16E those wheels & tires are HEAVY! I wouldn't want to change 4 or 6 of them on a bigger truck, and finding a place to store them would be pretty rough, that's a BIG stack of tires!

There's no way around this IMO. You need snowies for driving in the snow, especially on a pick up truck.

If you live in Canada and run AS tires on your winter DD, you are just a cheapskate. This is coming from someone living in Toronto: probably the best place in Canada to run AS in the winter.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Assuming you are going to get a total loss on your Sienna.. (not sure about Canadas laws).. if it were me here in the US..i would take the check and buy it back..fix the bent wheel and possibly a few suspension parts. That is if you like the Sienna..

My experience with this type of damage on modern cars is that it bends up the subframe and the body, is very difficult and expensive to repair, and invariably is never right again. That's why the insurance company totals them.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I have Cooper Discover ATW's in a 265 70 17 LT. They are great as snow tires and I'm planning on taking them off in the spring. I believe they are a softer compound than the AT3. However I did use my last set of Discoverer ATW's as a year round tire and wore them out in 4 years. Trouble is they wear down and it makes them less desirable as a snow tire the subsequent years. I'm planning on getting highway LT tires such as the Michelin Defender for the summer. All terrains don't fit the bill for me for that purpose but may do for you. ATW for winter. AT3 for the other three seasons. Or you might want to try the AT3 year all year round because it's a All Terrain Tire.
Here is the tread on the ATW.

I have the AT/3 on there right now, which is what the truck's previous owner had on. I think they are a great tire in the summer. When I bought the truck, I looked at the tread, and figured I would need to replace it before the summer was through. Yet driving through even torrential rains that year, I could not get the tires to lose traction. I ended up using them through a second summer, and even through light early fall snow and ice.

The question now that the truck may be put into winter service, but not see high enough mileage to have two sets of tires being an economical option, is what to use. During the summer, the truck will see towing duty for our fifth wheel for camping trips, which depending on the year, can range anywhere from local-ish trips only, to across North America. Outside of that, and for any time during the year, it will be only if one of us has to be somewhere the other isn't, and outside of my commuting to work by transit, pretty much boils down to one of us taking a kid to one activity, while another takes a different kid somewhere else. And all of those are within 10 miles of home 99% of the time.

I really do like what I am hearing about the ATWs. It just may be the one to fit the bill.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
I'll assume you have the stock 265/70/18s on your 2013 3500 LML. At work, we up-size one step to 275/70/18 without rubbing. Winter traction, handling and tire life is improved.
If cost is not an issue, buy tires with a 3-ply sidewall.
Extreme conditions? last night for example, I got an ASAP call to drive from rural BC interior to Hinton, Alberta. Blue River to Valemont, BC was the worst with whiteout conditions.
I used my own truck this time, which is a 2011 2500 XC LML. The tires; 275/65/20 studded Hankook RW-11s. (I would buy those again)
The work truck we leave at Hinton; 265/70/17 Toyo CT.
My daughter's 2018 3500 L5P, 275/65/20 (on my extra wheels) Nitto EXO.
My son's 2013 1500 5.3L SLT 275/60/20 studded Nitto EXO. He's a helli ski guide and pulls his trailer over mountain passes all winter Whistler to Golden and sometimes to Terrace, BC.
One 3500 Ram passed me last night, then stopped at the Valemont Petro-Can had 275/75/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Not exactly a winter/ice tire, he had far more weight than me with 2 sleds on a deck.
The trucks with the stock all season tires are the ones in the ditch.

Stock size, yes, but not the stock tires. Based on the odometer when I bought the truck, it looks like the truck's second set of tires put on by the previous owner. They are Cooper Discoverer AT/3, which I think are a great tire, but I don't think they will handle severe winter.

Sounds like if I have some sort of upgrade from what trucks typically come with from the factory, I will be miles ahead of the game.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
There's no way around this IMO. You need snowies for driving in the snow, especially on a pick up truck.

If you live in Canada and run AS tires on your winter DD, you are just a cheapskate. This is coming from someone living in Toronto: probably the best place in Canada to run AS in the winter.

If I planned to use the truck more, absolutely.

My inclination is to go with a tire that has a strong bias towards winter conditions, that can handle being driven during the summer.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

My experience with this type of damage on modern cars is that it bends up the subframe and the body, is very difficult and expensive to repair, and invariably is never right again. That's why the insurance company totals them.

I do love the vehicle, it has been absolutely reliable. But this is exactly my concern. If insurance tells me they are going to repair, then my next question will be is there any significant frame damage. If yes, I will then push to have it written off instead, and failing that, sell it when it is back in my hands.

I wouldn't want to buy back a written off vehicle, and I don't know if that is possible here (though I can't see why not). It will also be branded with a salvage title, and will be practically worthless, other than salvage value.

Originally Posted by weebl

My inclination is to go with a tire that has a strong bias towards winter conditions, that can handle being driven during the summer.

Sounds like the KO2 or AT3 might be best. Do they both have the snowflake symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back