LSjr Tests VOA of 20 yr old Valvoline & 40 yr old Mobil 1 Oil. HPL tests Anti-Foam in Gear Oil.

Some folks around here have 7 vehicles so no telling.
The wife and I have 4 vehicles registered & insured at all times.

Then I service around a dozen now for my non-profit between its vehicles and core volunteers.

That doesn't include my small handful of "paying customers".

Assume 20 then. Oil in the grant scheme of vehicle ownership costs are minuscule compared to other things like purchase price, fuel, insurance, etc.

I don’t remember who said it or I would cite them but oil hoarders need to get some perspective.

One guy on here had like several hundred quarts. A little nuts IMHO because by the time you are a little ways into it a better oil comes along (like HPL) and now what do you with the rest of the "junk" on your shelf?

Assuming M1 AP average is $30 you saved $15 x 23 = $345. Also assuming 5-6 oil changes a year it would take 3.8 -4.6 years to recognize that $345 savings. Now even if you used it all up in one year that is still only $345. I mean listen you hand me $345 yeah I’ll take it. But a couple hundred dollars is not a financial windfall.
Actually I don’t need your financial advice -
As for the M1 AP - most of it was the 70% PAO that started at $49

Last edited:
His VOA shows the oil labelled as SF, which appeared in 1980.

And no, apparently Mobil 1, from the get-go, was PAO/Ester until Tri-Syn happened. That was from TomNJ, who I believe supplied the esters at the time through Hatco, so he'd know. They may not have had the balance right in the first few years though, based on the claims of it causing leaks (possibly due to PAO seal shrink, but that's just speculation on my part).

On the Valvoline, that's Synpower Racing Oil, it could very well have some ester in it as well, like 300V for example. Yes, the water should still condemn it, my point is that we don't know what virgin oxidation is for any of these oils and given the known impact ester content has on this, claims that this is a reliable metric are dubious at best.

Another data point: The gear oil had an oxidation figure of only 6.1, so if this was true oxidation, why was it exempt?
I just came across this thread, but from what I've read the very first formulation of Mobil 1 to hit the market in the earlier part of the 70s was mostly PAO with group I as an additive carrier, but was quickly superseded by the POA+POE version probably due to it poor additive holding and poor elastomeric compatibility.
1714963936598.jpg

Maybe my brain got unplugged but it felt like a 30 minute video that didn't really say anything useful.

5 year old oil: is it good to go. YES OR NO?!
etc for 10 year, 15 year.

He went straight to 20+ year old oil where there is no "virgin" oil analysis on it to compare against and concluded "well it's different". OK but most people probably have 5-10 year oil at worst in a sealed bottle kept on a garage shelf. Is it OK to use in a car still? That's the question where the rubber meets the actual road.

On the plus side, 10 year old oil would be from 2014 and there should be virgin oil reports from back then to compare against: "2014 oil in 2014" vs. "2014 oil in 2024" would have been a far more useful video than what he put out.

Last edited:
Back