LS2 Oil analysis after heads/cam swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing a little sleep over this. First time heads/cam swap on a bone stock LS2 with 40K miles at the time of swap. I never did an oil analysis prior to the modifications. When I started the car for the first time I ran it for about 30 minutes than dumped the oil and replaced it with fresh Joe Gibbs LS30 (5w-30). I ran the fresh oil for 627 miles, dumped the oil again, this time taking a sample to send to Blackstone. The oil analysis didn't come back as healthy as I had hoped; however Blackstone gives results based on a 4500 mile average sample on a normal running vehicle. I am hoping the high lead levels are a result of the cam swap and will be low at the next change interval, but at the same time I am concerned that grime may have got in between the cam and the bearings, and caused scoring. I can't find info anywhere online on a post modification oil analysis. Are any of these figures cause for concern or am I likely just worried over nothing?

Oilanalysis.jpg

Well the new cam has to get work hardened or wear hardened so I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.
I'd use a conventional such as PYB. No need for an actual break in oil. The valve guides and cam are what's breaking in and that can easily account for iron.
Lead however is very high for 700 miles.
Considering the rings were already seated I'd take it easy and sample every 1000-1500 miles just to track lead. If its the bearings then lead should track with miles. If its just a particle streak then the lead level will increase,then level off.
Monitor closely
Thanks for posting.

Good advice from Clevy. Use a good conventional and keep an eye on wear. I would not do a UOA for at least 2 1k-1.5k intervals. Give things a chance to wear in properly. Your engine is in no danger of blowing up. Keep driving and try not to lose sleep...not yet anyway
wink.gif

The lead level was exactly what I was referring to. The cam is the only thing that has a direct impact on bearings to change in the engine. So I would imagine where the problem lies. I wish more people did analysis after modifications so I had something to compare to.

I'd guess that you nicked a cam bearing or two during the removal/install of the cam. There's no lead that I'm aware of in the construction of the cam, heads, or valvetrain components that would be shedding off during initial run-in.

You also mentioned the possibility that grime may have gotten between the can & bearings. If you didn't work in a clean environment, anything goes.

Danspeed1,

You need to cut open your engine oil filter and visually check for metal inside...

Christian

The slightest goof puts the cam in danger. Nick a roller or a lobe/bearing and anything could happen, it's all bad. There are many subtleties.

But that is no reason to freak over a UOA. You'll need more than one to establish anything.

We were diagnosing these things long before BITOG or UOA's were even known to the general public...

Well,

I know this thread is a few weeks out, but I just got the results of the second analysis, which are well under universal standards.

Oilanalysis2.jpg

I contacted Blackstone and they told me that they have seen numbers in the hundreds for lead, the point at which I was at was just to monitor. Hopefully I am in the clear with this one, as I am at just 3ppm where the average is generally 7ppm

DG

If your last oil had 68 ppm of lead, that 3 ppm might well mean nothing. Think not of it as 3ppm. Consider it to mean <4 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back