LS1 Lifters and Oil Viscosity

Hi All,

Long time lurker but first time poster. I hail from down under in OZ. I have a Turbo Ls1 which has a set of Morel/Lunati Link Bar lifters. I have heard musings over the years that you cannot run a higher viscosity than 5W40 in these. I have been recommended to run a 50w oil in my Turbo LS but there seems to be a lot on conflicting information out there. Wondering if anyone here has run a higher viscosity than 5W40 in these Morel lifters?

What do you expect to happen if you run 15W-50? Engines aren't that sensitive to viscosity, neither are lifters.

What do you expect to happen if you run 15W-50? Engines aren't that sensitive to viscosity, neither are lifters.
It’s more the fact that I hear that the Morel lifters don’t like anything higher than a 40wt oil. Here is Aus most of the high horsepower LS crowd run a 50 or 60wt oil. Even Nulon Oils technical support recommended I run their 15W50 in a Turbo LS.

It’s more the fact that I hear that the Morel lifters don’t like anything higher than a 40wt oil. Here is Aus most of the high horsepower LS crowd run a 50 or 60wt oil. Even Nulon Oils technical support recommended I run their 15W50 in a Turbo LS.
"Like"? What does that mean?

Why don't you just try it and see if the lifters like the oil? It won't harm anything.

There is so little difference in operational viscosity at operational temperature, between a 30 and 50 viscosity oil, I can't imagine there would ever be problems. Remember, the viscosity of oil not yet fully warmed up is wildly different, are you having lifter problems when the oil temp is not yet fully "warmed up".

In general, the performance engines I operate get a quality synthetic oil with a high HTHS for adequate protection under extreme conditions.

aSZ9QeGTRj

There is so little difference in operational viscosity at operational temperature, between a 30 and 50 viscosity oil, I can't imagine there would ever be problems. Remember, the viscosity of oil not yet fully warmed up is wildly different, are you having lifter problems when the oil temp is not yet fully "warmed up".

In general, the performance engines I operate get a quality synthetic oil with a high HTHS for adequate protection under extreme conditions.

aSZ9QeGTRj
Puts it into perspective, doesn't it?

Sometimes the imagination about operational viscosity between grades is quite influential.

aSZ9QeGTRj
i'm sorry but this chart is incomprehensible gibberish. what is this "celsius" nonsense?

I would actually be looking at a 5-30 oil that has higher ZDDP levels. I run Royal Purple HPS 5-30 in a couple of supercharged Ford V8s, both making 700, drag race one but not the other. One calls for 5-50 but I don't track it so it gets 5-30 but with antiwear levels that can't meet present certs.
Not a plug for RP, there are several options out there.

What are some good 5w30 oils that AREN'T European formula AND have the API Starburst as well as GF-6 that have high HTHS?

Last edited:
Back