LPG fireplace gas logs

I know this should be in the general/off topic section, but for some reason, it's the only forum topic I can't access at work. But, I did see some grill related stuff on here. I got a procom SSD30TR gas log vent free gas log set up....pretty much very similar to a LPG grill. Anyway, long story short....it is a dual gas system from the factory. Switched over to LPG and tested it out yesterday outside. I can get the pilot to stay on, but the main burner will not light. I checked the LPG tank, full, plenty of pressure. I don't even hear a click sound that indicates the main line opened. Checked all the lines, blew them out with compressed air, nothing. One thing I did read on the manual, it says to use a minimum 100 pound LPG tank. I'm using a 20 pound cylinder. I was wondering, why would that have anything to do with it not lighting? Plenty of pressure on the 20 pound tank. I'm running a 20 psi adjustable regulator. I adjust it to when I get a good flow to the pilot light, figuring that's the correct W.C., which is between 11 and 14 according to the manual. Don't chastise me here, but my plan was to put those logs in my fireplace, run a gas line to the 20 pound cylinder that I can hide about 8 feet away from the fireplace. This thing also has a remote control unit, wondering if it's not working and maybe I could just bypass that thing and manually operate it since the exact same model below it operates that way. If it's broke, I'll get a new one but I still want to set it up the same way. Now I'm concerned that even that dog might not hunt. One other thing, sometimes the pilot light will go out even though the gas is hooked up and flowing. Appreciate any comments or ideas.

A larger tank can vaporize a higher quantity of gas/hour at a given temp than a smaller tank. I would go to 100 lb tank. A 100 gal tank would be better.

You might get it to work (with a 20 lb tank) when the temp is 70F but then the temp falls to 40F it will not work.

Your gas log fireplace installation manual should have a table of pounds or BTUs (some metric) of natural gas and LPG per hour that is required.

There are charts for vaporization rates for various size tanks at various temps.

There is also pipe size and regulator size to consider. Again should be in gas log fireplace install manual.

One thing I like about a gas log fireplace is you can add a second set of batteries and use during a power failure.

I have a 500 gal buried tank of propane.

Tank and regulator need to be outdoors.

Last edited:
Back