LPG conversion

lpg burns ~20°c less. how is this going to destroy engine ? :D
main point is to tune it properly, so fuel trims are exact same on both fuels.
I just want to make clear if adding gasoline has a benefit or not.
LiquidSI's ECU supports "parallel" gasoline injection, so obviously there is a reason for it.
companies will produce whatever market wants.
flashlube was born before leadfree fuel... and is still in business today. :rolleyes:
so much money can be earned on people´s fear.

I just want to make clear if adding gasoline has a benefit or not.
i dont see any, just higher cost.
none original lpg conversions are using flashlube or fancy systems. that should tell the story.

You're going to struggle to get decent answers on this forum as LPG isn't very popular in the US.

Engines running on LPG will be easier on oil, will produce less emissions and if LPG fuel is cheap where you live then you will have lower running costs.

Certainly, some engines will benefit from a valve lubrication type system. The vacuum fed valve protection systems seem to work fine and are cheap to buy and install.

Interesting as I thought LPG systems were long dead. My dad ran dual fuel systems since the early 80's and even ordered a Dodge 2500 van from the factory that was solely propane. That was in 85 or 86.

With that van, the oil never darkened but near the end of its life, close to 300,000km it needed new heads as the valves began sticking and the seats were really recessed.

But with the cost of fuel, which is 1.70 a litre, the cost of a conversion, there is no benefit. The current regime has it out for any hydro carbon, regardless of how clean it burns.

companies will produce whatever market wants.
flashlube was born before leadfree fuel... and is still in business today. :rolleyes:
so much money can be earned on people´s fear.

Certainly marketing can be an explanation. Companies will always try to sell as much as possible, including even completely unnecessary stuff.

i dont see any, just higher cost.
none original lpg conversions are using flashlube or fancy systems. that should tell the story.

Are there any factory installed LPG systems? If yes do they use parallel fuel injection? (As I have said I'm not interested in installing any lubrication systems, I'm specifically interested in parallel gasoline injection.)

You're going to struggle to get decent answers on this forum as LPG isn't very popular in the US.

Engines running on LPG will be easier on oil, will produce less emissions and if LPG fuel is cheap where you live then you will have lower running costs.

Certainly, some engines will benefit from a valve lubrication type system. The vacuum fed valve protection systems seem to work fine and are cheap to buy and install.

Exactly. How well an engine handles LPG is engine dependent. Personally, I'm interested in parallel fuel injection though and its possible benefits for the engine. Some say it can be used as an alternative to lubrication systems. As for vacuum systems probably are far from ideal because they feed more lubricant when the engine idles. There are lubrication systems like Prins ValveCare-DI that have their own ECU and pump and supply more lubricant when the engine is under heavier load.

Interesting as I thought LPG systems were long dead. My dad ran dual fuel systems since the early 80's and even ordered a Dodge 2500 van from the factory that was solely propane. That was in 85 or 86.

With that van, the oil never darkened but near the end of its life, close to 300,000km it needed new heads as the valves began sticking and the seats were really recessed.

But with the cost of fuel, which is 1.70 a litre, the cost of a conversion, there is no benefit. The current regime has it out for any hydro carbon, regardless of how clean it burns.

There are many companies producing LPG kits in Europe. I guess the rise of gasoline price has increased the number of people who turn to LPG. In Greece LPG costs around 1.00 - 1.10 €/L while gasoline is around 2.10 - 2.20 €/L, so the economic benefit of using LPG is pretty clear.

Stellite exhaust valves, bronze valve guides, and hardened exhaust valve seats are necessary for running LPG or CNG.

What they use for today's unleaded gasoline setups should be fine for these fuels.

It's the cars made before the 1980s that are susceptible to exhaust valve seat wear--those made to run on leaded fuel.

Last edited:
Back