"Lower tier " oils you have run...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What do you think ???

That's a better question...

And how much do you trust Redline ??

Better question than the first one....

Candidly... I would trust Redline... And yes....it's definitely a top tier oil. That's just my opinion.

And I'd would definitely trust Amsoil Signature Series oils... That don't have official API license or Dexos approval either. And definitely top tier oils too.

Castrol GTX full synthetic is mid tier just above Castrol Ultraclean. Which I had in that previous post.
GTX full synthetic and GTX Magnatec full synthetic are different products, though.

1649164285724.png

"Intelligent molecules" bwahahaha.

I dunno about that. The screenshot I shared was pulled from Castrol's website today. So maybe they're planning to consolidate the brands, but they haven't done it yet.

The whole Magnatec thing is a little confusing. The GTX Magnatec high mileage in a green bottle is a blend, but the GTX Magnatec non-high-mileage in a green bottle is a full synthetic. Consolidating the brands is probably the right thing to do.

Back in the days when K-Marts were still around. I would buy Smittys Super S Multi Flow 5W30 for a 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L I owned and pair it with a Motorcraft Filter for a 5000 OCI. Did that for years until I sold it to a friends son with about 160,xxx miles on it -- no problems. Now the cheapest oil I have purchased which might be considered lower tier -- Chevron Supreme Synthetic Blend 5W30 at 8 bucks for a 5 quart container was a no brainer. Have ran it in the Subaru in signature now multiple now back to back usually changing at 4000 miles since majority is short tripped 80% of the time. Also have PUP,PP, RGT,QSFS & Castrol Edge in the stash which I do not consider lower tier but change my oil normally at 5000 mile OCIs. Would have no problem running the Chevron Supreme Synthetic Blend in any of vehicles in signature except the turbo VW.

This evening checking the mail my elderly neighbor drove down to check her mail in her 03 Tahoe 5.3 Z71 heard it ticking more like knocking ..... checked it for her not even showing

Went to nearest Casey's 3 quarts of Casey's 5w30 at nearly 9 bucks a quart looked like a Warren bottle or possibly a Omnipac back to full

I told her I would grab six quarts and a filter and just for kicks asked her what brand oil she would prefer ..... Phillips 66 she replied
I have not seen Trop Artic or any Phillips branded oils other than Motorcraft in years

Fram Conventional HDEO 15w40 was used in my mother's Envoy. Its made by Amalie from what I understand. Also, I have read that there really aren't any straight conventional oils left anymore, that they are likely a synthetic blend. Probably a lower end syn blend with only 10% synthetic.

Got some Fram 15w40 and even some PEAK 15w40 left over for the oil consuming Camry of mine. Plenty of SAE 40&30 too.

I’ve filled few 5 quart Mobil 1 jugs with used oil from the filter crusher bucket at work also. That’s if stuff really hits the fan

I dunno about that. The screenshot I shared was pulled from Castrol's website today. So maybe they're planning to consolidate the brands, but they haven't done it yet.

The whole Magnatec thing is a little confusing. The GTX Magnatec high mileage in a green bottle is a blend, but the GTX Magnatec non-high-mileage in a green bottle is a full synthetic. Consolidating the brands is probably the right thing to do.
@Addicted2jeepz, thanks for the info. I contacted Castrol and was told you're correct, Magnatec full synth is going away. Hasn't yet, but is about to, apparently.

Here's what they said:
Castrol GTX FULL SYNTHETIC is replacing Castrol GTX MAGNATEC to align with GM’s latest generation of GM-certified engine oil, GM dexos™1 Gen 3 however both products are very similar formulations, with very similar properties.

Castrol GTX FULL SYNTHETIC has been designed to meet the needs of today’s advanced engine technologies and to help extend engine life by fighting the impact of severe driving conditions. It provides the same outstanding wear protection of GTX MAGNATEC plus superior sludge protection that exceeds the industry standard.

Good to know it has superior sludge protection. I don't want anything to happen to my precious sludge.

This evening checking the mail my elderly neighbor drove down to check her mail in her 03 Tahoe 5.3 Z71 heard it ticking more like knocking ..... checked it for her not even showing

Went to nearest Casey's 3 quarts of Casey's 5w30 at nearly 9 bucks a quart looked like a Warren bottle or possibly a Omnipac back to full

I told her I would grab six quarts and a filter and just for kicks asked her what brand oil she would prefer ..... Phillips 66 she replied
I have not seen Trop Artic or any Phillips branded oils other than Motorcraft in years

Maybe that’s what she used the last time that oil was changed? 😳

Hmmm, you're right - I just realized the picture you posted is the "new" style bottle. All indications were that "Full Synthetic" was replacing Magnatec, but apparently not! I punched in my truck info and it recommended Edge, then alternates were Edge EP, Magnatec, and Full Synthetic - in that order. Interesting... 🤔

Disregard, I just saw your reply about calling Castrol. I guess they just don't want to pull it from their site until existing stock is used up!

Lowest tier oil I've used is probably supertech conventional, back when they still made such an oil.

I've also used Quaker State green bottle which at the time wasn't much more expensive and also occupied bottom shelf real estate.

Also used to use a bit of the Mobil Super 5000 product. Wish it was still available at local Walmart.

Speaking of Warren (which some of us were, I think), I ordered a 4-pack of 5-qt jugs of Kirkland oil at Costco.com, and it was drop-shipped directly from Warren:

20220406_164128.jpg

I assume CW stands for Costco Wholesale.

Lower tier oils meaning Super S, Amalie, Cam2, Warren Oil, Warren Distribution and or others. These oils can also be store branded like say Providence oil from RK, or say Federated Auto parts oils from WD.

I have run 30 different oils in my car these past 10 years.

Pennzoil Ultra aka the original one and Castrol gold bottle too. I ran those be two almost exclusively for the first 2 years I had my car.

I like Chevron/Havoline and Valvoline and Castrol and Quaker State too. Run all of those in my car has well.

Been running Cam2 in my car for the past 2 years or so. Their full synthetic Dexos approved oil has 25-40 percent group IV in it. Not too shabby really. Their motor oils have been tested by PQIA a fair amount over time and they have always passed those tests well. It runs very well in my car that has 360k plus miles on it.

I'm just curious how many others on here have done the same in the past 4-5 years.
No such thing unless you buy something from a dollar store with no donut on the bottle

Difficult for some to understand nuances.... No helping with that.

Of course there are extremely bad, meeting established standards oils.

However some people see certain oils has not being as "good" as name brands.

Lower tier oil? That implies that there are upper tier oils, right? It's all in your head. The advertising companies did their job to get you to spend "up". If the oil has the spec, use it. I ran plain old Mobil 1 for 200K miles before I switched to Super Tech. Now I have 310,000 miles and no sign of quit on the engine. Save your money and buy ammo, you're going to need it. ('09 Toyota Tacome V-6 in the turbo version).

Back