"Lower tier " oils you have run...

I have not used Supertech, but in the past five years I have used Lubrigold and Rural King (now Providence) synthetics and Citgo Supergard and Cam2 synthetic blends. If I had a high performance car or one with a turbocharged engine, I'd probably stick with one of the majors. As for majors, I still have 40 quarts of RGT I got for 50 cents a quart during the 2018 Autozone clearance.

This past fall my local NAPA store increased pricing on Cam2, so its price advantage is shrinking.

Yeah NB my Napa in Windsor raised Cam2 Superpromax from $1.99 price 2 years ago a qt to now $3.49. . And Full synthetic Cam2 to $4.29 a qt.

And Federated Auto parts full synthetic went from $3.49 2 years ago to now $4.88 ....

I bought cases of Amalie / Wolf's Head oils and transmission fluids when the amaliestore.com was up and running.
That reminds me to see if they're back.

Would cheap jugs of Havoline or quarts of "Formula Shell" count as "lower tier oils"?
My friend who's perennially on a budget LOVES it when I show up with $11 jugs of oil. He don't need no fancy synthetics!

Yeah Formula Shell and Havoline would qualify too.

I have run both of those in my cars.

Formula Shell and Havoline both ran very quiet and well in my car.

Many years ago when my dad still had his 77 Camaro that leaked & burned oil, we'd buy whatever was on sale at Kragen & need top it off with Albertsons oil (bottle said it was Pennzoil) that he'd buy after work probably every other week

FYI bbhero (and anyone else): I bought cases of Formula Shell and my friends would buy it from me. It ended up in 3 car/truck engines, 2 lawn tractors and at least 5 OPE engines. Every engine liked the stuff, I was told.

Formula Shell and Citgo (fleet farm resolute, citgo, or mystik) are the only lower tiers I think I've used and that's mostly for 10w-30 in OPE. The rest is all name brand synthetic I get on clearance and walmart pricing errors.

I still have 7 5qt jugs (2 RTG and 5 PP) that I paid a total of ~$10 for. RGT was free after rebate and the PP was $2/5qt jug.

used in my ML 320 a couple of times

Back