Lower control arm bushings leaking 2015 Pilot

Aluminum control arms are on the majority of vehicles today.
I am not arguing he is trying to scam you. There are two possibilities if you think he is honest:
1. He is afraid that he might damage control arm, you come back etc. etc.
2. Replacing the whole arm might be bit easier, though I don't see how in this case, considering the design.

I would go OE arms or bushings. The thing with aftermarket is that all options are mediocre, maybe average. Unfortunately, Lamfoerder or TRW don't have aftermarket options for many of these family haulers. While expensive, it is a critical safety part, and mediocre parts will mess up the drive. Rubber might not absorb impacts very well, and since I have the same vehicle in the garage, I know that steering is really not a strong point on Pilot. The quality of fluid in the bushing might also be bad. You might end up with a lower quality of ride and worse handling. With quality parts, stiffer bushings mean better steering and handling. With mediocre parts, anything is possible. Your braking might be worse, it might vibrate during braking etc.
Thanks for the thoughtful explanation. Very true, he is worried about damaging the control arm taking off the compliance bushing that is exactly what he said.
The interesting thing I learned about on this forum and Piloteers is that I have been having some
"warped rotor feeling" in my steering wheel and brake pedal. I thought it was because I had new pads installed without new rotors and the pads needed to be bedded in properly. That could still be the issue. BUT oh yes for sure, I am going to spend the money for OEM. I cannot take any chances with steering issues, especially in our winters here in Michigan!

View attachment 116891
Here is the actual arm piece he is talking about as being aluminum that can possibly break when he removes the bushing.

That car is 10X less rusted than stuff I usually have to deal with, just look at the nuts and bolts. I can guarantee you the arm will not break replacing the bushing you picture. If he is going to remove the arm he is probably worried he will bugger the ball joint boot, the new arm will come with a new joint and front and rear bushings.

Last edited:
That car is 10X less rusted than stuff I usually have to deal with, just look at the nuts and bolts. I can guarantee you the arm will not break replacing the bushing you picture. If he is going to remove the arm he is probably worried he will bugger the ball joint boot, the new arm with come with a new joint and front and rear bushings.
Yes Trav, exactly,...that is what I think he is worried about that has happened on other Pilot's that he has worked on. The other thing he mentioned is that the bushing has a compression and it is hard to get it back in? Back into what I don't know, I think he means the rubber bushing getting it to compress. ?
Glad to know some of the rust is not bad! I keep it in the garage all the time, and in the winter I wash down /off the road salt, as soon as I am able to and the temperature gets above freezing.(y):)

That car is 10X less rusted than stuff I usually have to deal with, just look at the nuts and bolts. I can guarantee you the arm will not break replacing the bushing you picture. If he is going to remove the arm he is probably worried he will bugger the ball joint boot, the new arm will come with a new joint and front and rear bushings.
Do you think it is okay just to replace the compliance bushing? The whole control arm components from OEM Honda are on nation wide back order! Geezus,...if they had problems making that part I don't know IF I want one of the ones that they are having trouble making!??
Maybe better to keep the original one that came with the car,..IF it is not going to cause any steering issues???

Do you think it is okay just to replace the compliance bushing? The whole control arm components from OEM Honda are on nation wide back order! Geezus,...if they had problems making that part I don't know IF I want one of the ones that they are having trouble making!??
Maybe better to keep the original one that came with the car,..IF it is not going to cause any steering issues???
As long as the other bushing is in good shape and the arm is fine, then yep, replacing the compliance bushing will be fine. Also, I agree that it shouldn't be any problem replacing it - I certainly wouldn't be scared to (for rust/corrosion issues)

As long as the other bushing is in good shape and the arm is fine, then yep, replacing the compliance bushing will be fine. Also, I agree that it shouldn't be any problem replacing it - I certainly wouldn't be scared to (for rust/corrosion issues)
Well, a little twist in the events of today he was able to find the whole control arm with delivery for tomorrow. So with the rust on the joint by the wheel I asked him what was his opinion as to how long or how many miles left on that. He thought 10,000 to 20,000 miles then we would have to replace the whole control arm, possibly. Being the OCD preventative maintenance person I am,…buy once cry once is my motto . The price of just the compliance bushing vs the control arm is expensive yes. So instead of just replacing the compliance bushing then having to do it all over again in 1 or 2 years , I am just having him replace the whole arm apparatus. of course the compliance bushing is on it anyway. This way I don’t feel like I am paying twice for this issue. Oh yes I forgot to mention the other side was bad also
Thanks again to Everyone for your time quick responses and great advice. You are all so wonderful☺️

Now back to the water pump issue!🙄 which will be replaced in the the next few days or next week depending on when he has time.

Last edited:
For Honda vehicles in general, a proper alignment requires an alignment machine that measures the camber, caster and tow angles down to 1/100 of a degree for all four wheels. Such as a Hunter alignment machine. These machines are very expensive and the technician that uses it has to be trained on how to use it properly. There are many alignment shops that do not have this ability. So be sure that whatever shop you take the vehicle to for alignment they have a machine that can measure those angles that accurate. Otherwise you're just wasting your money and the vehicle usually will not end up being properly aligned.

For Honda vehicles in general, a proper alignment requires an alignment machine that measures the camber, caster and tow angles down to 1/100 of a degree for all four wheels. Such as a Hunter alignment machine. These machines are very expensive and the technician that uses it has to be trained on how to use it properly. There are many alignment shops that do not have this ability. So be sure that whatever shop you take the vehicle to for alignment they have a machine that can measure those angles that accurate. Otherwise you're just wasting your money and the vehicle usually will not end up being properly aligned.
Thanks so much Jim for that information. I will print this off. I will ask my mechanic about this, I know he said he is sending it to a shop to have it done one he uses personally. If it is not up to par I will go to the dealership. I know it was spot on before this control arm change, because I have my tires rotated every oil change and they are evenly worn.

Hey Jim, I have my car (my baby ) back. Had both control arms replaced. Here are my alignment results. I think they look pretty good but I am not an expert.
1663280781920.jpg

It looks good to me.

I'll bet to drives straight on stright roads that do not have any side slope, and also the tires should last a long time.
Yes,..it feels great nice stiff steering, the way I like it,...like it is a brand new car. Now once I get that water pump changed out to a Yamada, I will have it back to normal. thanks for your help Jim, and for the tips...

Back