low temp thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
how bad of an idea is it to run the 180 degree thermostat in my 2001 F150 5.4L?

on another forum, i'm hearing it will make it wear faster and i should change the oil every 1k miles.

BTW, i'm running a K&N Series 77, cat back exhaust and Hypertech Power Programmer

Your fuel mileage will suffer some with engine running colder. Your thermostat will spend most of its time in the open position.Your mileage is optimal with the recommended thermostat for your vehicle (stock setup). Are you running hot now?

Last edited:
Hypertech wants you to run a lower thermostat because they advance the timing. The lower thermostat helps prevent spark knock. I ran a Hypertech programmer in a Firebird for 10 years with the stock theromstat with no problems and it ran great. I believe bad things happen with cold temps in a engine.

180 degrees is NOT cold by any stretch of the imagination. You might possibly lose 1/10 of a MPG, but otherwise nothing will come of it. Stock engines had 180 degree thermostats for decades and ran fine.

The spark knock thing is a good point. If you aren't having problems with it, then I probably wouldn't bother with that 180 degree thermostat... even though it wouldn't HURT your engine at all.

Quote:

You might possibly lose 1/10 of a MPG, but otherwise nothing will come of it

180 degree thermostat... even though it wouldn't HURT your engine at all.

I disagree with this 100%. I will even go farther and say about the above - you have no clue what your talking about.

Under no circumstances should you change your thermostat. Your computer is calibrated for this temperature. The most mis-understood aspect of modern gas engines and the computers that control them is the importance of the hi-temp OEM thermostat. I assure you if you change it you will lose way more then 1/10 of a MPG. If you don't believe me keep accurate records of current MPG then change your thermostat and then report back.

All around its just a bad idea to change to a lower temp stat. I once was of the opinion lower temperature was better. It took me a lot of research and reading technical papers to change that way of thinking.

I know the computer is calbirated for the OEM stat, however, I have the Hypertech Power Programmer, which changed the computer's stock calibrations!
right now, i'm running the 93 octane program.

Quote:

I disagree with this 100%. I will even go farther and say about the above - you have no clue what your talking about.

Horse#@$%!. Engines nowadays run a bit hotter for a bit better fuel economy. 15 degrees ain't gonna do nothin'. If you're worried about open/closed loop... rest assured that that ONLY applies to O2 sensor temp in most vehicles. Most vehicles can be in closed loop LONG before 180 degrees. As for wear- hundreds of millions of engines have worn just fine at 180. 15 degrees isn't maJic.

What he said. I run a 180 degree thermostat in my '00 Crown Victoria 4.6 which is basically the same engine. After 130,000 miles I think I have enough data to make an informed observation. No noticeable change in mileage (around 21 mpg at 70 mph). One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that when the engine is runnin' 15 degrees cooler so is the transmission.

If you are lookin' for a 180 degree thermostat the aftermarket ones don't seem to have the little bleed hole that the stock thermostat has which make it harder to get air out of the system. Ford (Motorcraft) makes a 180 degree thermosat for the Ford Lightning which has the bleed hole and is what I am using.

I have been running 180 t-stats all my life. No probs. But 180 is as low as I go. It allows me to advance my timing a tad and reduces chances of detonation here in ultra hot, dry, and sunny Arizona.

Quote:

Quote:

Horse#@$%!. Engines nowadays run a bit hotter for a bit better fuel economy. 15 degrees ain't gonna do nothin'. If you're worried about open/closed loop... rest assured that that ONLY applies to O2 sensor temp in most vehicles. Most vehicles can be in closed loop LONG before 180 degrees. As for wear- hundreds of millions of engines have worn just fine at 180. 15 degrees isn't maJic.

Your fooling yourself if you think a hotter thermostat is ONLY used for better fuel economy. I never said engines didn't wear ACCEPTABly at lower thermostat temps. Just making the point that they wear better at the higher temp. Thermostat changes are why people have a lot of "unexplained" problems on computer contolled cars/trucks.

Its a free country you may believe as you wish.
deadhorse.gif

FWIW I have read in other forums, that the lower stat makes the PCM program think the engine is in "start-up mode" . It will then make the fuel-air mix ratio richer which will lead to better performance at WOT. This however will also promote carbon build up and fuel dilution of the oil if the rich mixture is run at all times.

all good points, but my understanding is that the Hypertech Power Programmer is tuned to avoid these problems.

I hope you are right. I am looking at one on ebay for my Ram pick-up. I have what is called the Death Flash. Dealers will detune the PCM to prevent spark , which is a common problem on these trucks. Mine came with it from the factory. I have been running the Jet chip but over time the PCM will learn and over ride the piggy-back chip programming. I can go with the Hypertech or a reflash from a performance company. A lot of guys on the Ram forums run the 180 stat but report detonation problems over time, which I think is carbon build up. Of course there are ways to prevent that.

Hello Rob ,

Quote:

not running hot, just listening to the hype of www.hypertech.com

they say with the low temp, the MPG won't suffer because that's where the Hypertech kicks in...

I haven't gone much farther than this on their site ;
....................................................................................................................................................................................

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' PowerStat
From the laws of Physics, we know that cooler air is denser than warmer air, and since horsepower increases as the amount of air and fuel burned increases, cooler air makes more power. Replacing the factory thermostat with the Hypertech low-temp PowerStat will allow the engine to run cooler, making more power and reducing the engine's tendency to detonate. Detonation, usually producing audible pinging or even knocking sounds, refers to the spontaneous explosion of the unburned air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. Detonation violently ends the normal combustion process, reduces power, and can severely damage the engine.

To complete your performance package, Hypertech recommends the use of a low-temp thermostat to compliment the performance tuning found in the Hypertech Power Tuning products. A PowerStat low-temp thermostat improves performance in two ways: first by inducing less heat into the intake air and second by reducing the engine's tendency to detonate.

So correct me if I'm wrong , but here I see no mention of more " direct " spark advance ie inherient to their schedule .

Personally , I wouldn't want a 180 in upstate NY in the winter .
Given your other mods/and street use........................
on a maintained engine thats not towing large and heavy up a big hill ( fast or slow )..............................I'm not sure what you would really accomplish and if it would be worth it .

I've always been fan of 2 position thermostats ( manual adj. ) when affordable and available - 2 big ifs .

There are alternative approaches as well .

I think every other poster here has raised very valid points .
That may not seem to make sense but my experience is its very installation/user specific , although that doesn't really cover it all .

Anyway I'd check this out over there - see what they do and why .

..................................................................................................................................................

Replaces factory thermostat
No modifications required
Realize full potential of Hypertech Power Tuning
50-State Emissions-legal when used with Hypertech Power Tuning
Popular PowerStat Applications PART#
1992 - 1997 LT1 5.7L 1008
1997 - 2003 LS1 5.7L 1014
1999 - 2003 GM 4.8/5.3/6.0L 1014
1993 - 1995 GM 4.3/305/350 TBI 1010
A 180 degree Powerstat is available for colder climates . View our Product Search or our Application Guide for all .................................................................................................................................................................................
twocents.gif
cheers.gif

Thanks for the advice brother...another vendor sent me the 160 degree and swore it was the correct one...i sent it back, still haven't seen my refund...but at least i didn't install it!

" So correct me if I'm wrong , but here I see no mention of more " direct " spark advance ie inherent to their schedule "
should have added " - automatically /all times if you use a 180 " - I think/hope you got what I was trying to get at .

More later .
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif

Two things real fast on the Mitsu ,
WAG -" sounds " like could be ignition coil/igniter module
Problem #2 Mitsu - WAG #2 " sounds " like standard asian manufacturer hydrallic/solid lifter tick - could be a sign of something just developing - again , more later .
patriot.gif

Quote:

UNLESS your cooling system is capable of keeping the temp at 180 you will acomplish nothing.

Yep your gonna basically have an open thermostat the whole time.

for my 02 explorer the thermostat is 194°F partial open and fully open at 202°F. My truck runs year around at about 196°F-198°F +-1°F. Any thermostat lower than spec would just stay open when the truck warms up. Then I might as well have no thermostat at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back