Low Oil Pressure

I'm not familiar with this engine, but are there any internal oil passages in the block, head, or pump body that get plugged after they are drilled in the manufacturing process? Were the plugs removed at reman for cleaning? Are the plugs press in and internal to the block, perhaps one popped out? Just random thoughts.
That's a good thought. I'll check with the builder on that.

It doesn’t really matter what you do at this point, zero/low reading on the gauge, and tapping noises means you lost oil pressure.

You drove until you could stop, and then ran it to check it later. That is probably enough to destroy your engine, so you are looking at a new rebuild.

If something fairly simple failed like a pickup tube, shouldn’t a ‘good’ engine builder have inspected the parts and made sure they were okay?

If he knew you were moving, maybe he slapped a junk rebuild together, knowing you couldn’t come back?

It doesn’t really matter what you do at this point, zero/low reading on the gauge, and tapping noises means you lost oil pressure.

You drove until you could stop, and then ran it to check it later. That is probably enough to destroy your engine, so you are looking at a new rebuild.

If something fairly simple failed like a pickup tube, shouldn’t a ‘good’ engine builder have inspected the parts and made sure they were okay?

If he knew you were moving, maybe he slapped a junk rebuild together, knowing you couldn’t come back?
That is a fair statement. I really should have shut it off right away and had it towed. However, there is enough pressure for the oil to make it to the opposite end of the block where the pressure gauge is installed, as the oil squirts out of there with the pressure gauge removed, therefore there was at least some lubrication within the block. The top end is where the tapping noise was coming from so there's not enough pressure to make it there.

As far as the build goes, I moved a couple of months before the build was complete and I told them to take their time. I had the vehicle shipped after it was completed. But yes, the pickup tube should have been thoroughly inspected and not just cleaned.

These are just some life lessons that I'm slowly learning.

If there is an O-ring or gasket on the oil pick-up tube where it attaches to the pump, maybe the gasket lost enough seal and causing the pump to starve (suck too much air) and not pump full oil volume.

If there is an O-ring or gasket on the oil pick-up tube where it attaches to the pump, maybe the gasket lost enough seal and causing the pump to starve (suck too much air) and not pump full oil volume.
I will keep that in mind when removing the tube. Thank you.

What engine ? The sohc still used the pencil drive to the oil pump...stripped oil pump drives were a Ford problem forever. The engine still runs and no oil pressure. I have also seen these engines take a smack in the sump and restrict the pickup....then you get startup oil pressure that disappears.

What engine ? The sohc still used the pencil drive to the oil pump...stripped oil pump drives were a Ford problem forever. The engine still runs and no oil pressure. I have also seen these engines take a smack in the sump and restrict the pickup....then you get startup oil pressure that disappears.
It's a 250 Crossflow, no ohc. The sump is undamaged.

Alloy head I suppose...there can't be many cast iron Xflows left. Remove the distributor, it drives the oil pump with a shaft the size of a pencil, it has probably rounded the edges off and not driving the pump.

Based on your commentary with the possible causes and current extent of potential damage, you are best in my opinion to "suck it up" and do a forensic visual examination with the engine on a stand if your goal is to know exactly where you sit and what you need to do.

I don't see any other way around it at this point.

Alloy head I suppose...there can't be many cast iron Xflows left. Remove the distributor, it drives the oil pump with a shaft the size of a pencil, it has probably rounded the edges off and not driving the pump.
Yes, it's an alloy head. Sure, I'll take a look at the distributor shaft. Thanks.

the earlier versions of that engine goes all the way back to the early
60's. 144 c.i. in the Ford Falcon (US). Noisy lifters for years and with
several larger versions. The 250 is the last of that line. A dull engine in the
U.S., better versions down under, with some high performance equipment
available there. At least it was a reliable engine otherwise.

My 2¢

Back