Low cost decent tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
Originally Posted By: Trav
General Altimax RT43

+1. Excellent wet and dry road traction. The best all around tire for the money I've ever owned.

Sam

I would also recommend pricing these out in your size, we put these on my daughter's car to replace the terrible OEMs and have been very happy with them (even in moderate winter use in New England).

Originally Posted By: CKN
Antares from Walmart seems to get OK reviews.

Looks to be a high performance all season which will be pretty dicey in the snow. They look nice for someone driving in CA, FL etc.. These are also known as UHP or Ultra High Performance tires. I recently got rid of some Hankook Ventus V2 Concepts that were a great deal. But they resulted in plenty of white knuckle driving, treacherous, lots of prayers to make it home safe etc....Whew!

General RT43's rock. One of the best tires I've ever bought.

Yokohama's have served me very well also. Both car and truck tires.

A big surprise have been Sumitomo's. I bought a set from TireRack and I think I like them better than the Generals.

I had 40,000 mile Falken Sinceras need replacing at 20,000 on my Sienna. Fortunately Americas Tire gave me a great prorate on them, when I bought a new set. But if I wanted cheap tires to still be good at 20K, I would avoid the Falken Sinceras.

I'd rather have Hankooks from DTD or Douglas from WM.

The Viva I had (granted, used) had great tread but the bead somehow rotted and when I peeled it off one rim for another it left rando chunks behind stuck to the rim. It also didn't hold a balance and had a stupid tread pattern (subjective, I know).

Had those Douglases with the herringbone pattern, surprisingly good!

The Kumho Solus TA11 are an excellent tire but, may be more expensive than you want to pay knowing you won't get the full life out of them. I have a new set of 4 on my Rogue and love them.

Thank you all for your generous input! Lots of different recommendations - I'll begin looking into them. The two good tires on the car are Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Grand Touring with about 23,000 miles on them.

There is a good chance I'll buy a new Altima next year as I have already been eyeing them this year. Rented three last year and they are really nice!

Tom

I had the Viva 3's on a Subaru Outback. They balanced well, were quiet, and had good traction.

A good tire for the money. I would buy them again.

I'm guessing not a lot of people buy tires at Sam's Club, but the Pirelli P4 Plus tire sold there are an incredible deal for the price. Handling is so-so, but ride, noise, and traction are all solid. 12/32" tread depth, good wear, and very strong sidewall construction too. Might not be the best choice here for short term serviceable tires, but they have to be up there with the RT43 and TA11 in the good tire, good price department.

i had to quickly and cheaply put a set of tires on a 30k mile toyota corolla in the winter of 2006. i chose 4 wm goodyear vivas and got 40k miles out of them in eastern canada and the u.s. i was very pleased with them in all types of nasty and nice weather.

when i needed tires for my passat i chose kelly edge a/s only because i got a really great deal of 4 for $300 all in at the navy px, otherwise i would have looked to get wm goodyear vivas again. when i was at the vw dealer the other day i noticed that vw’s entry level replacement tire is atlas landsport. my service tech told me that he is happy with the atlas on his beetle.

Viva 3 is finally an average tire.. the older models were definitely below average.

Another vote for the General Altimax series of tires. It's all I use anymore. Money no object I usually trend toward Michelin's.

Another vote for General tires. They have good tread life and are cheaper than Michelin.

I have used the G/Y VIVA's/Regatta's/Allegra's from W*M, G/Y & Sam's respectively and I think they're fine when new. However, I don't find them to be a quality tire or with good longevity down the road where the owner wants them to be. They're not a tire that I want to run(from personal experience) from beginning(new) to the end of their life. They wear funny(even with proper alignment & good suspension parts), get noisy and usually break belts causing thumping.

This is my experience with most G/Y tires that I have owned over the last 45 years. Although the VIVA is an OK tire(price dependant) when getting rid of a car to another owner. But, just to put on decent tires/price when selling the car in a year or so, do it quickly or you'll find out the truth and have to get new tires again just prior to selling the car. And YES, I know there are people that love G/Y tires and the VIVA's and their derivatives but, I don't!

Sorry, I am late to the party! But I strongly recommended Nexen tires, especially the N5000 Plus. Very smooth, quite, and good feed backs from steering wheel. Yes they were on the Odyssey van, but it provided good feed backs on a van says something about this tire especially it also provided exception well ride and quietness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back