Low Calcium Motor Oils...

I guess I don't understand why GM would tell it's own dealerships and techs to use Mobil 1 specifically because of it's low calcium and not because of it's Dexos certification...since dealerships and techs are supposed to be using Dexos certified oil anyway...why make the distinction to use a low calcium synthetic...why make a technical bulletin when you are already supposed to following the Dexos mandate already???

wemay...thanks SO much for that link...it helps a lot

Bill

Exxon Mobil pays GM for the advertising and recommendation. In this case maybe EM told GM to push the brand more along with a higher payout?

All automakers have similar contracts with oil companies but this is the first I’ve heard of one being pushy about it. Usually it’s just a notation in the owners manual or a sign in the service department.

As wemay stated, the dexos 1 Generation 2 certification is all you need.

okay...perhaps I get it now...if the Generation 2 Dexos 1 oil spec was made to reduce LSPI and any oil carrying the license for Dexos 1 Generation 2 meets or exceeds the standard then buying most any oil with that spec will do her car just fine...

I was spooked a bit by checking the calcium level in Shell Rotella Gas Truck and Mobil 1 oils (albeit in a different weight than I use in her car) and saw a much higher calcium level in the Shell Gas Truck...

thanks for the feedback and putting up with me on this... (y)

Bill

Before LSPI hit the fan most oils were running above 2000ppm of calcium. That was halved for the most part and a increase in magnesium was noted. Calcium and magnesium are part of the cleaning package. Valvoline had to stop using sodium in their oil and they reverted back to Moly/boron.

During the early months when LSPI or super knock became noticed, Japan automakers researched the problem and discovered that calcium and sodium were two elements that helped cause these events. The industry responded pretty quickly to come up with alternatives.

thanks for your comments too...I learned a LOT since starting this thread...I didn't know what I knew and now I know why... :cool:

thanks everyone for your responses...

Bill

@silversport oh Lord Almighty.

This has gone on FAR too long now. You are right about one thing. GM DID in fact recommend Mobil 1 for the low calcium for the 2.0T Ecotec. BUT!!!! That was when D1G1 was the current spec. Notice how the the GM bulletin you linked only mentions MY2013-2017 2.0T Ecotecs. That’s because D1G2 didn’t come out until the MY2018 vehicles.

We have D1G2 now so any current spec D1G2 oil is low calcium.

Several people here have been trying to tell you this.

Last edited:

This has gone on FAR too long now. You are right about one thing. GM DID in fact recommend Mobil 1 for the low calcium for the 2.0T Ecotec. BUT!!!! That was when D1G1 was the current spec. Notice how the the GM bulletin you published only mentions MY2013-2017 2.0T Ecotecs. That’s because D1G2 didn’t come out until the MY2018 vehicles.

plus, with the API SN+ and now SP oils, d1G2 doesn’t have as much relevance as those certificates cover this as well.

This has gone on FAR too long now. You are right about one thing. GM DID in fact recommend Mobil 1 for the low calcium for the 2.0T Ecotec. BUT!!!! That was when D1G1 was the current spec. Notice how the the GM bulletin you linked only mentions MY2013-2017 2.0T Ecotecs. That’s because D1G2 didn’t come out until the MY2018 vehicles.

yes...I realized this and posted so almost 4 hours before your response...thank you for your response

Bill

Back