Love the website, grease is new to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what grease is but I'm not up on the classifications or certifications involved. The question of "what is a good grease?" may be too general, so I'll try this. I want to use it on my snowmobile, wheel bearings for my truck, chassis lube points on my quad, and general chassis lube points on truck. I know one can be adequate, but I love to over do it!!

Just make sure you get the best high temp grease for the bearings you can find and it will be overkill for everything else. For lubing latches and hinges and stuff you might want white lithium grease or something with PTFE ( I like Super Lube) so you can only use a little and it won't attract as much dirt. I use the superlube on my fishing reels too. Good luck.

I recommend a good brand grease that is lithium based, NLGI 2, has EP additives, and is rated for elevated temperature use, usually advertised as wheel bearing grease appropriate for disc brakes.

Synthetic would be an upgrade.

Valvoline Synpower and Mobil 1 are commonly available in your better automotive supply houses.

Are any of the Mystik brands of grease any good? I'm still lost when it comes to grease composition. Is lithium better? Why is it better? Is there a spreadsheet or website that can educate me about grease proporties? Like I said, I'm an idiot when it comes to grease.

You have some varying requirements for your equipment and I wouldn't necessarily say you are getting the best lubrication if only using one type of grease. Start with your manuals. It should at least say what grade of grease you need. GC-LB is the classification for a general chassis and wheel bearing grease that should be adequate for your quad and truck.

Thing's to look for in a good high quality grease are a high Timken OK load rating; a measure of it's extreme pressure properties. A grease with good cohesive and adhesive properties. Meaning it stay's where it should and does not sling off thereby helping it to cling to metal, help seal out dirt by forming it's own seal and reduce grease consumption. It needs high water resistance and ability to maintain extreme pressure resistance in the presence of water. Just like with engine oils, UTF's and gear oils there are many properties that come into play to make a superior lubricant. With grease some of the key features to look for are load capacity, water resistance, cohesive/adhesive properties, compatibility, and temperature range based on application and oil separation characteristics.

If most of your operating time is in cold wet conditions I'd start with a grease that has a synthetic base and aluminum thickners. Schaeffers or AMSOIL might be what you are looking for for chassis use. Pennzoil 707 is a very good wheel bearing grease.

Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp Lithium-Complex EP #2 has an excellent overall reputation, very good published specifications and is one of 3 greases I use in my farm shop for tractors, trucks, cars, pickups, etc. I know nothing about snowmobile lubrication requirements.

Looks like the new reformulated Amsoil water resistant grease is being touted as usable in other applications. Ujoints, ball joints, wheel bearings etc. I know with 2 or 3 grease guns I've got decisions to make on which of their greases to put in my grease gunsnow. It looks like the series 2000 grease might be the one I discontinue using. I think the new greases they have are eclipsing the series 2000 grease.

It will probably be reformulated at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back