love bugs... FL people know what they are.

love bugs.jpg
love bugs 2.jpg

friend sent me this one of his truck after a trip down to Fl to pick up some cars
3 love bugs.jpg

Wag123 beat me to it. We have years when they are horrible. The things are very acidic and dry almost immediately when they hit your car. You need to wash them off every day or they will eat the clear coat.

Wag123 beat me to it. We have years when they are horrible. The things are very acidic and dry almost immediately when they hit your car. You need to wash them off every day or they will eat the clear coat.
Yep - I use a fair amount of spray wax when they are bad - not just for the clear coat but makes it easier to wash them off …

We have them in my area of Georgia, too.
I keep Meguiars Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax on hand. It does a pretty good job.

If I'm taking a trip during love bug season I will apply a heavy coat of wax to any parts of the truck that will smash the little boogers then wash them off as soon as I can. I also carry some window cleaner and rags for the windshield. Some folks will spray Pam on the front of their vehicles to keep them from sticking. If you don't take precautions and wash them off ASAP they will eat into your paint. We have two seasons for them, spring and fall. Some years they swarm by the billions and some years hardly at all.

What do you all use to prevent bugs from sticking as badly, and/or cleaning off more easily?

I recently had two of my cars PPF treated; that has helped immensely in the cleaning efforts.

When I drove over the road, hauled a load to Florida and I was astonished. Was told that they brought them to Florida years ago because they eat citrus mites. The problem is, nothing eats them. The price you pay to live in paradise.

March flies are nasty.

Years ago, I was driving north on Highway 31 in Oregon north of Silver Lake on my way to Christmas Valley. I drove thru a huge swarm of some kind of giant dragonfly. What a mess. When I parked, the carcasses attracted a swarm of Yellow Jackets.

If anyone has driven through Hanna, Alberta, home of the band Nickel Back, you have to carve the slabs of grasshoppers off the bumper with a butcher knife.
As side note, the wife and I saw Nickel Back in Charlotte, N.C. 9/12/23 on a Tuesday night and the outdoor venue was sold out! It’s the second time we’ve seen them and they’re fantastic!

I saw many people over the years that also added a screen in front of radiator for them. They also clog up the AC condenser and kill the air flow. Shaking screen/brushing is easier than trying to back flush them from the cooling area

Back