Louvers - Again, AMSOIL EaO filters

Would you use this filter with mere slits in the center tube? If the louvers are choked way down, there will be increased delta-p across the filter and the filter will be running in bypass a lot, if not all the time.

What up to 10psi or more, I don't think so. There may be some bad filters out there but generally its an over reaction by the no louvers crowd.

What up to 10psi or more, I don't think so. There may be some bad filters out there but generally its an over reaction by the no louvers crowd.
Only a reaction when bad louvers are found ... like the many instances posted in this forum many times by members. Louvers need to be visually verified to be open, don't blindly just slap it on is my recommendation.

Replacement EAO17s arrived today, here's #1:

BA55AE4D-1706-4294-A368-57D2D7D2FF7C.jpeg

7C905E59-D0D0-484A-BA42-21A769DBAEB8.jpeg

Attachments

• B080BC7A-F285-4326-8A8E-ABC5BC689651.jpeg
    B080BC7A-F285-4326-8A8E-ABC5BC689651.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 5
I'm still curious about the flow component when it comes to filtration though.
Not exactly sure what you're getting at.

Flow is the same (at the same engine RPM) through the filter until the oil pump hits relief pressure. The more closed the louvers are, the more delta-p across the filter will be produced. The filter's bypass valve would most likely open before the pump hits relief. Bypassed oil would effect filtration efficiency of course.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at.

Flow is the same (at the same engine RPM) through the filter until the oil pump hits relief pressure. The more closed the louvers are, the more delta-p across the filter will be produced. The filter's bypass valve would most likely open before the pump hits relief. Bypassed oil would effect filtration efficiency of course.
Just thinking that less delta-p would allow more flow and keep oil from bypass. Plus, those louvers have to create more resistance to "flow" as they change direction of the oil.
"turbulence" in effect. Perhaps I'm wrong... I am thinking less restriction allows for better circulation.

Just thinking that less delta-p would allow more flow and keep oil from bypass. Plus, those louvers have to create more resistance to "flow" as they change direction of the oil.
"turbulence" in effect. Perhaps I'm wrong... I am thinking less restriction allows for better circulation.
Less delta-p doesn't give more flow unless the oil pump is in relief. If the oil pump isn't in relief, then it's just lower delta-p across the filter, which gives more operating headroom from the filter's bypass valve setting. And oil pumps don't go into relief very often because it takes certain rare operating conditions to make the pump hit pressure relief.

If louvers are formed correctly, there will be more flow area than a typical center tube with holes. Should be slightly less delta-p, but probably only 1 or 2 PSI at most. Center tubes just don't produce much delta-p, unless louvers are mere hairline slits.

If louvers are not formed correctly, they could cause added delta-p across the filter, which would make the filter bypass valve open more often, or in a worse case senario, make the filter bypass run open most of the time.

If louvers were mere slits and very flow restrictive, the filter would act like it was very clogged up, and cause the bypass valve to open. The filter bypass should open before the pump hits pressure relief, but if the right conditions exist it could be possible that both the filter bypass and the pump pressure relief valve could both be operatgive at the same time.

Last edited:
Since we’re talking about filters with bad louvers, I thought you guys would like to know that Harley-Davidson is having louver problems on some their filters too. I came across this thread on one of the Harley forums. Enjoy.

No offense, but I wouldn't use these filters as they look highly restrictive
Which part to you appears highly restrictive? The most restrictive part on a filter is the media. The synthetic microglass media used in these, and the OG Fram Ultra/Titanium flows far better than cellulose or cellulose blend medias found in traditional filters.

Which part to you appears highly restrictive? The most restrictive part on a filter is the media. The synthetic microglass media used in these, and the OG Fram Ultra/Titanium flows far better than cellulose or cellulose blend medias found in traditional filters.
Thank you.

This probably needs repeating throughout this thread. People may not take what I post seriously, but absolutely louvers formed properly flow great, better than a series of holes, and are not restrictive!

I don't know why and how the louvered strip provider screwed up (tool wear? misaligned??) but I know Amsoil got back to the filter company and that is all I know. I am not sure if filter company coils the louvered strip material.

No offense, but I wouldn't use these filters as they look highly restrictive
Are you refereing to "these filters" as the ones only with closed up louvers, or do you mean something else. "These filters" needs a context in your comment.

Last edited:
I don't know why and how the louvered strip provider screwed up (tool wear? misaligned??) but I know Amsoil got back to the filter company and that is all I know. I am not sure if filter company coils the louvered strip material.
Whoever does it needs some training and oversight. That's the only way things get rectified.

Back