:( Lost Indoor Cat

Hi,

Our Shy indoor cat was on screen porch when a neighbor behind us set off an expensive fireworks show July 4th and apparently got out through screen hole(enlarged).

We are devastated. Anyone have luck with a cat returning after 4 days missing? He could simply be hiding but of course night searching with daughter ran across a fox.
Sorry to hear it. That's why I hate fireworks.
Try leaving something of yours outdoors so it may help lure the cat back.
It's disoriented.

Check carefully in and around your bushes. I had an indoor cat that got out. I found her taking cover in my bushes after two days of being lost. I think she was so scared of being outside that she didn't know what to do.

Post signs, and if you use something like Nextdoor post on there too.

I would also give flyers to local vet offices and shelters, or at least call them and describe your cat. Let them know if he is chipped or not. I'm assuming no collar since he's indoors.

As others suggested, a litterbox or something left outside with his scent may help, though he probably knows the smell of your house well even from outside.

Sometimes setting a trap will help. Escaped cats may not show themselves to you in their current freaked out or exploring state, but when they get hungry they will go for familiar food in a familiar place.

I wouldn't give up hope yet. His shyness may be serving him well, I'd worry more about a cat that is outgoing/immediately friendly but not used to dealing with outside threats.

I had one outdoor mostly Maine Coon neutered Tom cat return after 3 months. He was in perfect condition, but his paws were hard like he had been walking and looking. I think he got in someone's car. He knew how to hunt and fight.

He was VERY happy to be home, and had a lot to say. If only I could understand cat, would have be an interesting story.
Meow Talk app.

Post on the Nextdoor app and the Ring app. You don’t have to have a Ring camera to have an account and post.

We found my grandma’s dog on the Ring app

My Fist cat, in the late 50's, was named Blackie too ! Grabbed him from a litter of kittens living in a basement window well at a house my parents were looking at in Indiana. - Ken
I miss my cat Blackie. When he was about 4 years old I rescued an 8 week old kitten from the animal shelter. We named her Baby Girl. They were inseparable.
OP, any luck on finding your cat?

Attachments

• BABY_GIRL.jpg
    BABY_GIRL.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
Sorry to hear your cat is MIA, I have had a few that have been gone for a while, at least a few. 1 was gone for maybe 3 weeks and smelled like a fire place, like he climbed out of the chimney of someone's house.

I have found more than half of my cats that where scared when friends brought over their dogs and at least 50% of the time I have found them 25 feet up a tree. 1 cat was up a tree right in the middle of my own back yard for 3 days and I was calling for him for hours on end.

If you have some tree's around, I suggest you have a look up all of them. Cats either go for a cubby hole or a tree. Good luck, I sure hope you find him/her.

No cat still :(. Thanks for support and kind words. I was amazed my two community FaceBook posts were printed and shared in common areas of condos nearby and NH wildlife research center.

Crossing fingers he is hiding but sad. Thanks all

No cat still :(. Thanks for support and kind words. I was amazed my two community FaceBook posts were printed and shared in common areas of condos nearby and NH wildlife research center.

Do you have an under porch area. At our log cabin they can squeeze in the picket gate doors but sometimes cannot get out without digging. Check under the hood of the car too.

You would think with the rain storm he would be back or at some other cat loving neighbors house.

Put your shirt or pants / your shoes etc with your scent on it outside or on your porch. Leave it's litter box out there also. Don't put food out , it will bring in raccoons etc. Betcha it's close to home. GOOD LUCK......I 'll pray for the bugger.

I hope you get your cat back. A cat recognizes his or her name. Call for your cat and use treats as bait. My Tigger is an escape artist. He's the one who has figured out how to operate door handles and even some door knobs. He's gotten out three times since I got him last year and he has always come back when he got hungry. I left the door to the yard open for him. Each time I found him at his bowl a few hours after his escape. He's too lazy to hunt for food.

My antique cat was in line to be euthanized when I picked him out and took him home.
Had that issue at the SPCA. Ad on TV "Give money now to save these poor, neglected animals" How about neighbors confronting any negligent animal; owners in your neighborhood? !

Story: I go to local NHSPCA to check on a cat they had there "Oh let me get my supervisor .... "We get a lot of cats, that cat was euthanised"
This was a lost cat I had dropped off and donated a couple hundred dollars and I said call me if no one claims him or
adopts him. They may do some good with horses and goats and llama - but don't be a sucker.

If anyone is to blame it is usually irresponsible pet owners - though I know in So. Florida a decade ago there were so many feral cats that they are now native wild animals down there.

Just donated to local S.P.C.A. . Many cats being returned since Covid restrictions eased :mad: . Putting more financial burden on the shelters :( .

My wife and I together had three cats when we were married. Two males and one female. One day, the males pushed out a window screen that was already sorta loose and scrammed. They were gone for almost a week. Then they came back, both of them at the same time. Neither worse for wear. They were sitting outside the {repaired} screen and announcing their presence loudly.
Our theory is that they cheated on us with another family for a few days. The female cat was not impressed that they returned.
Now, one male is still with us. We let him out all the time. He goes out and sleeps under the tree by the house.

My tortoise shell was hiding in plain site for a week in a tree in our yard, between leaves and our ornamental bushes.
It took a month of calling, talking, to get in the house. She is now a mixed outdoor-I-sleep-inside-whenever-I-pamper-myself, really skilled huntress (birds, chipmunks, mice, rats, squirels, baby snakes, voles, frogs, bugs etc etc).
Leave out side food and fresh water and monitor/ set cameras on those spots. You don't care about other animals eating it, but yours
They can fast for a long time/eat very little.
What is important is familiar smells: so, some of her blankies/toys/your clothes, leave them outside for familiar smells. The sweatier, the better.
Call it outside at the favourite eating/playying/cuddle times.

Back