Looks like I got a '08 TOYOTA OIL BURNER! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was mine (and it is NOT), I'd stock up on sub-$2/quart oil, such as TropArtic, Peak, SuperTech, etc. and live with it.
Anyway, posts like this are always interesting. If you have the work done at the dealer, keep us informed with more posts and photos.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
If it was mine (and it is NOT), I'd stock up on sub-$2/quart oil, such as TropArtic, Peak, SuperTech, etc. and live with it.
Anyway, posts like this are always interesting. If you have the work done at the dealer, keep us informed with more posts and photos.

Advice indeed well taken.

And I will keep in touch.... hopefully not with posts about me pouring in some kind of piston soak and then vapor locking the motor, or dislodging and scoring the bore.

I'm having some weird thoughts like WHAT OIL BURNS CLEANEST... LOL. I'd hope to avoid carbon caused detonation. I have a feeling this thing has some carbon build up having been run/burning on dino for its life.

Originally Posted By: hatt
You may be better off adding oil than fooling with a disinterested stealership. At least the engine is running good and trouble free right now.

The winning post....the car is 8 years old now....tear it apart and you can be sure the $tealership will find a way to charge you that 900$ service fee....

You know it burns, just check it based on the mileage and add from time to time.. it runs perfectly why mess with it now?!?!?!

I have 120k miles on my '08 xB and it didn't start to use oil until the 100k mark. I did 10k OCI with 5w-20 M1 EP from 30k-100k. I switched to M1 HM at 100k and upped it to 5w-30 and still do 10k OCIs.

I only use 1 qt every 5k miles so I guess I lucked out with mine.

Last edited:
I remember your post considering this car. Do the TCW-3 thing, 1 oz. to 5 gallons, that will at least get you cleaned up then see where your at.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I remember your post considering this car. Do the TCW-3 thing, 1 oz. to 5 gallons, that will at least get you cleaned up then see where your at.

So adding "more oils" to the injected fuel/motor oil charge could actually clean it up some? Seriously re-interested.

Somehow my unscientific mind thinks about it adding carbon to the already more-than-usual deposits (although my scientific mind knows that the TCW-3 burns without Carbon).

And thanks for keeping an eye out for my posts.

take a trip to Blain's..TCW-3 gallons $16, burn it and then see where your at.

Yes sir! I worked at the Oak Creek one in High School (sorry if you already knew that)

Sounds like you know that the TCW-3 might just "do a little something nice" for my situation.

this will mix 640 gallons of fuel, you need to start soon cause 20,000 mi. is 725 gallons.

I check Highlanders oil parked in the same spot every week, 1/3 of the checks show a half qt. low..I'm thinking it depends where the crank shaft stops.

I check Highlanders oil parked in the same spot every week, 1/3 of the checks show a half qt. low..I'm thinking it depends where the crank shaft stops.

WOW (mind blown)

So 1oz to 5 gallons, got it.

Are you checking it stone cold every morning or sometimes after it's been driven?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Are you checking it stone cold every morning or sometimes after it's been driven?

Great question.

In my xB's case....

Yes, stone cold, same garage surface, same parked orientation, same time of day (7:30am) after the same cold soak (appx hrs soak), same tape measure. In theory my oil should be at the same (within) 10 degrees F of when checked at any given prior time. I have checked it hot also (not taken photos) and it shows the same consumption gap.

Golly I hope the next check at 200-300etc. somehow miraculously shows some reduced consumption rate.

Records show that at 75k miles on the ODO she ate just about 3/4 quart every 2500miles (according to the previous owner and Toyota Paperwork who did their oil change at that time) Toyota wrote it something like "Oil near bottom marker, last oil change at 72,478"

So 1oz to 5 gallons, got it.
[/quote]

I use a couple old 32oz. Stabil bottles, keep in a box with other junk, easy to measure it out regardless of the fuel added.

That is a high burn rate, it will only get worse overall as time goes by, and with age on the oil itself. I lived with that rate for a while, you'll kill your cat and the vales will build up deposits somewhat quickly. I would try to make them take the car back or fix it after making it very clear that you will put up with no B S over this repair. Being a well known problem I think you are safe to let them do the warranty work. But get some real clarification on specifically what is covered and what isn't.

I would probably skip the head rebuild.

I am shopping for a Toyota Matrix which has that engine. What some quick ways to check for possible excessive oil consumption issues?
(blowby out the oil cap,leaking ctank seales, ect ?) - Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back