Looks expensive.

These are all out in the desert, the labor to pull/ ship the nacelles is the real cost.
Good thing so many jumbos are retired. Parts is parts.
Just kidding, they will probably use new from Boeing Spares, short walk from SeaTac airport.
Those pieces are probably $250k each.
A Pratt & Whitney JT8D (the least expensive engine found on 747s) sold for $1.6 million to $2.2 million each, depending on the power of the model, back in 1985, according to an article in the Sept. 20, 1985 edition of the NY Times. Prices have slightly more than doubled for that engine in 2021.

A Pratt & Whitney JT8D (the least expensive engine found on 747s) sold for $1.6 million to $2.2 million each, depending on the power of the model, back in 1985, according to an article in the Sept. 20, 1985 edition of the NY Times. Prices have slightly more than doubled for that engine in 2021.
the air intakes I was referring to.

Those look like P&W 4000 series - but it's hard to tell in the snow. They're not cheap. Probably worth more than the whole airplane, which appears to be a 747-400 freighter.

Also hard to tell, because I don't know the frame rate from the video, is the taxi speed.

It appears to be grossly fast, but that might be a function of the camera frame rate.

Either way, the Captain got lost, wasn't on the proper taxiway, and ran into stationary equipment.

I've been in the cockpit (I was the FO) of a 747-400 in heavy snow. The eyeball height of the cockpit is about 65 feet. You really can't see much from up there when the visibility is poor. It is a far more difficult and complex operation than say, a truck, or car in similar weather.

I read on another forum that this video appears to be someone with a smartphone taking video of the replay off of a monitor screen, hence the distortion and speed differences. It also sounds like another big no no.

My guess is that the captain lost his bearings with the snow covering the lights and the fall snow being a distraction. Post #20 in this thread shows the path the aircraft took. Post #17 shows the taxiway in clear weather.

BTW - I was referring to complaints from the PRC about how China Airlines gets confused with Air China. However, in Taiwan they've been complaining about it too because some would like to deemphasize the name and would prefer something that emphasizes and would encourage business and tourism in Taiwan. Their new 777F livery has the CHINA AIRLINES text fairly small and all the way in the back. They've got an outline of the island of Taiwan in the middle of the C in CARGO.

China-Airlines-B777F.jpg

And for the original topic, this has some better pictures. It's clear that the fan blades are trashed.

China-Airlines-Cargo-B747-Engine-Damage-2.jpeg

China-Airlines-B747-Cargo-Engine-Damage-600x800.jpeg

Just a minor point, but the 747 never used the JT8D.

Launch engine for the 747 way back in 1969 was the JT9D.

Just a minor point, but the 747 never used the JT8D.

Launch engine for the 747 way back in 1969 was the JT9D.

Of course different airlines have their preferences. United seems to have a longstanding relationship with Pratt & Whitney. But China Airlines seems to prefer General Electric.

Of course different airlines have their preferences. United seems to have a longstanding relationship with Pratt & Whitney. But China Airlines seems to prefer General Electric.
My point was that the JT8D was a smaller engine with lower bypass ratio, and was used on smaller aircraft (727, 737, DC-9, etc). It was never used on wide bodies.

The JT9D was the launch engine for the 747, and it was the only engine initially available, if I’m correct. GE & RR’s offerings didn’t come along until later. In the beginning, if you wanted a 747, you got the PW.

My point was that the JT8D was a smaller engine with lower bypass ratio, and was used on smaller aircraft (727, 737, DC-9, etc). It was never used on wide bodies.

The JT9D was the launch engine for the 747, and it was the only engine initially available, if I’m correct. GE & RR’s offerings didn’t come along until later. In the beginning, if you wanted a 747, you got the PW.

I get it, but I think we're all going on weird tangents not necessarily related to the cost of fixing or replacing that specific engine. What's one more tangent?

JT8's never powered a 747. Early 747's used JT9's but the -400 required more power and better fuel economy. CF6, Pratt 4000 or maybe Rolls 211 would be the powerplant on this thing. The spinner dome appears to be a solid one piece unit which would signify that the engine is a GE CF6. Pratt 4000's use a two-piece dome and RR engines spin backwards (crazy Brits). I think these were GE CF6's.

Believe it or not, there are parts suppliers scattered all over the country near major airports (just like the local autoparts store) where replacement parts are easily acquired. They'll get a couple of serviceable engines, new cowlings, and HOPEFULLY borrow some hangar space and get the plane back in the air. Aircraft are tools used to make money and the longer they sit on the ground the more they cost to own. This will definitely be an AOG situation (aircraft on ground) and be a priority. Insurance will pick up the cost and the freighter will be back to making money in short order.

JT8's never powered a 747. Early 747's used JT9's but the -400 required more power and better fuel economy. CF6, Pratt 4000 or maybe Rolls 211 would be the powerplant on this thing. The spinner dome appears to be a solid one piece unit which would signify that the engine is a GE CF6. Pratt 4000's use a two-piece dome and RR engines spin backwards (crazy Brits). I think these were GE CF6's.

Believe it or not, there are parts suppliers scattered all over the country near major airports (just like the local autoparts store) where replacement parts are easily acquired. They'll get a couple of serviceable engines, new cowlings, and HOPEFULLY borrow some hangar space and get the plane back in the air. Aircraft are tools used to make money and the longer they sit on the ground the more they cost to own. This will definitely be an AOG situation (aircraft on ground) and be a priority. Insurance will pick up the cost and the freighter will be back to making money in short order.
Somehow, I don't think the pilot will...

We need to know the facts before placing the guilt. Even the obvious could be wrong. I am impressed the that the engine ate the luggage carrier. Pilots are some of the most trained and monitored professions on Earth. Some people watch car racing. I go to the airport and watch the planes and the {pit crew} that service the planes . Much more power and speed .

Last edited:

China Airlines​

your friend prophetic or psychic? lol
Worked at UAL all his life. I always heard it . He has been retired for quite a long time and again he told me that he can't believe that UAL let him taxi the jets around. I remember when he was training to Taxi the planes . He love being an A&P His work buddies I have met also loved their jobs .

Back